moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

I have a 2008 dodge ram 3500 deisel. I have a problem with

I have a 2008 dodge ram 3500 deisel. I have a problem with the particulate filter.Will I be able to change it myself?? It is reading at 90 percent, how many do I have before it fills up? Can I run it down the highway to clear it or what ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER

EVIC Message Center - Message - Catalyst Full

The engine Electronic Control Module (ECM) monitors the soot load in the diesel particulate filter. Under normal operating conditions the diesel particulate filter is self-cleaning, where accumulated soot is converted to ash. Under light load operating conditions, the driver may be notified via the vehicle's Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) message center "CATALYST FULL: SEE OWNERS MAN" will be displayed on the overhead console of your vehicle if the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive short duration and low speed driving cycles, your Cummins engine and exhaust aftertreatment system may never reach the conditions required to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, "Catalyst Full See Owner Manual" will be displayed on the overhead console in your vehicle. If this message is displayed you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition. Catalyst Stat::::::::::80% Catalyst Stat::::::::::80% will replace the message "Catalyst Full See Owner Manual" after it is displayed for one minute. The engine Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will continue to monitor the amount of particulate matter trapped in the particulate filter. This message indicates the percentage of the particulate filter capacity that has been used. By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for as little as 45 minutes you can remedy the condition in the particulate filter system and allow your Cummins engine and exhaust aftertreatment system to remove the trapped PM and restore the system to normal operating condition. Catalyst Stat:::::::::::80%, 90%, 99% Catalyst Stat:::::::::::80%, 90%, 99% If you are unable to drive your vehicle under these conditions for an extended period of time after the initial warning notification, the Engine PCM will continue to monitor the particulate filter and will display the progression of particulate filter usage (80, 90, 99%) on the EVIC message center. CATALYST FULL SERVICE REQD If the particulate filter reaches 99% of its capacity, the overhead console in your vehicle will chime twice and display the message CATALYST FULL SERVICE REQD. At this point the engine PCM will register a fault code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light and the engine PCM will derate the truck, reducing its horsepower and torque output. The PCM derates the engine in order to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to the aftertreatment system. If this condition is not corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive exhaust aftertreatment damage can occur. In order to correct this condition it will be necessary to have the truck serviced by your local authorized dealer.

Intervention Regeneration Strategy - EVIC Message Process Flow (Late Build) The Cummins diesel engine meets all EPA Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Emissions Standards, resulting in the lowest emitting diesel engine ever produced. NOTE: Depending on the build date of your vehicle or if the software has been updated, the EVIC may display the following messages. To achieve these emissions standards, your vehicle is equipped with a state-of-the-art engine and exhaust system. The engine and exhaust after-treatment system work together to achieve the EPA Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Emissions Standards. These systems are seamlessly integrated into your vehicle and managed by the Cummins Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM manages engine combustion to allow the exhaust system's catalyst to trap and burn Particulate Matter (PM) pollutants, with no input or interaction on your part. Additionally, the overhead console in your vehicle has the ability to alert you to additional maintenance required on your truck or engine. Refer to the following messages that may be displayed on your Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC):

Exhaust System - Regeneration Required Now "Exhaust System-Regeneration Required Now" will be displayed on the overhead console of your vehicle if the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive short duration and low speed driving cycles, your Cummins diesel engine and exhaust aftertreatment system may never reach the conditions required to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, "Exhaust System - Regeneration Required Now" will be displayed on the overhead console in your vehicle. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for as little as 45 minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate filter system and allow your Cummins diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system to remove the trapped PM and restore the system to normal operating condition. Exhaust Filter XX% Full Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is approaching full. Exhaust System - Regeneration in Process Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is selfcleaning. Maintain your current driving condition until regeneration is completed. Exhaust System - Regeneration Completed Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) selfcleaning is completed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this condition. Service Required - See Dealer Now Regeneration has been disabled due to a system malfunction. At this point the engine PCM will register a fault code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light. IMMEDIATE SERVICE IS REQUIRED. See your authorized dealer as damage to the exhaust system could occur soon with continued operation. Exhaust Filter Full - Power Reduced See Dealer The PCM derates the engine in order to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to the after-treatment system. If this condition is not corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. In order to correct this condition it will be necessary to have your vehicle serviced by your local authorized dealer. IMMEDIATE SERVICE IS REQUIRED. See your authorized dealer, as damage to the exhaust system could occur soon with continued operation.

Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

6.7L DIESEL - P/U

CATALYTIC CONVERTER 6.7L - DIESEL - P/U
1 - TUBING SUPPORT BRACKET 5 - DOC TO NOx ABSORBER CATALYST (NAC) FLANGE
2 - FLEXIBLE PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL TUBING 6 - NAC
3 - TURBOCHARGER CLAMP 7 - NAC TO DPF FLANGE
4 - DIESEL OXYGEN CATALYST (DOC) 8 - DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF)

1.Raise and support the vehicle.
2.Saturate the bolts and nuts with heat valve lubricant. Allow 5 minutes for penetration.
3.Disconnect flexible exhaust differential pressure sensor tubing (2).
4.Remove exhaust pressure differential sensor tubing from Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) (1).
5.4X4 Vehicles - If equipped, remove transfer case skid plate.
6.4X4 Vehicles - Remove transmission crossmember (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Frame/CROSSMEMBER - Removal) .
7.Remove Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to NOx Absorber Catalyst (NAC) flange nuts (7).
8.Remove NAC to Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) to NAC flange nuts (5). Discard gasket.
9.Remove NAC (7) from isolators .
10.Remove DOC to muffler band clamp.
11.Remove DOC from vehicle.
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp