Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

2007 dodge: buck..2 dealers, I even used the star mobile tool and they

Customer Question

I have the same problem with my 2007 dodge 3500 a hick-up/ buck under med load. The truck has been to 2 dealers, I even used the star mobile tool and they said that nothing showed up. I want to get it fixed before it breaks something. Nothing has been replaced that I'm aware of....but a power chip had been added before I owned it. I used to own an automotive repair shop and it feels just like the TPS switch. If the part didn't cost $400 I would try it. Someone must have the answer. I need help!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 7 years ago.
What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
5.9 diesel
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is a 5.9 diesel with automatic transmission. The bucking/jerking occurs between 40-60 mph when the throttle is held at a steady or certain position. Under heavy loads such as a camper, the bucking is a VERY violent jerk. Scares the crap outa ya!!! No RPM loss. The tach stays steady. It does it in all gears and over-drive. Does it with the tow/haul switch on. Does it with the over-drive switch on or off. Does it with cruise control on. It ALMOST feels like it hits two gears at the same time....that's how hard it slams! If I'm careful to NOT hold a steady speed with the throttle in the same position in light to medium throttle position, it won't buck/jerk.
Ok, nothing is springing to mind on this one so I will open the question back up in case there is another expert that has run across this.
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 7 years ago.

the most common cause for this is either a faulty transfer fuel pump or possibbly a faulty accelerator pedal position sensor

1. Check fuel delivery from the transfer pump. The transfer pump should deliver 40 oz. in 20 seconds

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Sean,

I don't believe its the fuel transfer pump...its too violent of a buck and usually with a fuel pump issue you will loose power just before the jerk or buck. My feeling is the throttle position switch, but your diagnosis of the faulty accelerator pedal position sensor sounds sensible. I'm looking into it.... This has been the best answer so far.

Craig

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HI Sean,

After thinking about this for a little while, I'm not convinced that this part will fix it because it bucks/jerks even when the cruise control is being used. Would this point back to the TPS. What do you think?

Craig

HAVE YOU CHECKED TO SEE IF THERES ANY SOFTWARE REFLASHES AVAILABLE FOR YOU TRUCK , I KNOW THERE A FEW UPDATES OUT
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This truck has been to two different dealers to be tested for this problem. I've even done the Smart Scan Computer test. I will verify with them that all updates have been performed, but I'm going to assume that they have. The question about the accelerator pedal sensor switch being the issue still remains because this truck bucks/jerks violently even when the cruise control is being used. Do you think that the APPSS is still the issue?

Thanks,

Craig

THIS MOST LIKLEY IS NOT THE APPS I AM PRETTY SURE YOU EITHER HAVE A FAULT IN THE PCM OR AN INJECTOR PUMP TROUBLE . CAN YOU SCAN THE PCM AND SEE WHAT THE RAIL PRESURE IS WHEN IT STARTS TO BUCK?