RJAuto11
RJAuto11, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech working on Chryslers 14+ Years
27212359

1995 dodge ram 2500 van: oil light comes..deceleration and idling

the oil light comes on when driving but only after deceleration and idling in a 1995 dodge ram 2500 van
Category: Dodge
Expert:  RJAuto11 replied 4 years ago.
It may be the oil pressure is low, but it may also be that the sending unit at the back of the motor , under the engine cover next to the distributor, is starting to fail. The curb idle oil pressure is very low and it does not take much of a deviation off of that to start grounding out the light through the sensor ground and having your oil light starting to come on in your dash cluster. Try to change the sensor first and if it still activates check your oil pressure with a gage cold and hot. If its still low, You can try increasing your oil viscosity and a new oil filter, and after that you may be looking at a pump and possibly new bearings that have less clearance on your mains to make the pump work harder and increase your pressure .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is this what you understand the question t be? light comes on after driving for a while but goes off as you accelerate but comes on if you stop at a light.
Expert:  RJAuto11 replied 4 years ago.
Yes, with your foot on the accelerator you have a higher rpm and your driving the oil pump at a much higher rate of flow. When you get off the gas and idle down , static at a traffic light or stop sign, you start to see the oil light (low pressure) starting to flicker or come on. Yes I understood the question.
RJAuto11, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech working on Chryslers 14+ Years