sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My 2007 Chrysler 300 m will not shift out of park

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Since you've tried the override button in the shifter already and that wouldn't help, we can rule out the brake/shifter interlock system (brake switch, front control module, wiring). This leaves only an internal problem in the shifter itself.

What happens is the internal interlock mechanism in the shifter breaks and it doesn't allow the shifter to be removed from park when you press the brake or when pushing the override button.

The fix is to replace the shifter. This isn't an expensive or major repair. The center console has to be removed for access, it takes about an hour to do.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The car is on a forward incline
does that affect the pink button
The incline may possibly be a factor depending how steep it is. Some pressure may need to be taken off by pushing or pulling the car up against the incline some while someone tries to move the shifter from park. For safety make sure noone is standing in the car's direction of travel while this is done. If it still won't move from park then you're back to an internal shifter problem.

Edited by sprinkles08 on 1/23/2010 at 12:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will try not to get run over
Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No go
It sounds like it's going to be an internal shifter issue then. This isn't unheard of on this style shifter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Funny. No prior indication of failure or "issue"
You won't get any notice before it breaks. The internal plastic interlock mechanism is what breaks, and it's a sudden failure. It's either in one piece and working ok or it breaks and won't allow the shifter to move.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your knowledge!
You're welcome, and good luck with your car! If I have been helpful please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for helping you tonight. Have a great weekend!

Edited by sprinkles08 on 1/23/2010 at 12:30 AM EST