brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2000 Dodge Dakota: 4x4..My electric door locks..passenger..driver side

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. My electric door locks make a loud "grinding" sound when locking and unlocking (to include the automatic lock when the car is placed in drive and initially moving forward). The passenger and rear doors lock and unlock, even with the audible sound, however the driver side still requires a key inserted and turned to pop up the lock. Separately, my automatic windows are slow to roll up and down and the slowness is compounded during cold (see Nebraska) winter days.

Is there anything I can check/replace to make the locks work properly and increase the speed of the window operation? Thanks in advance.

DJ US Navy
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
You have two different problems. To fix the lock the door lock actuator will need to be replaced. As for the window try cleaning the window slides and lubing them with a spray silicone. If this doesn't help the window regulator will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me how to get to the door lock actuator or find a diagram of where to locate it and it's subsequent replacement?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The actuator on this model is part of the door latch so you will need to replace the door latch assembly. This is the part you can see on the door when it is open and when shut the lever goes around the pin sticking out of the body to keep the door shut
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,