brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

my speedometer does not work on my 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9L

my speedometer does not work on my 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9L V8 and i was told i needed the speed sensor that goes on the transfer case from a mechanic, but when i went to auto zone they didnt know which one it was. I know its not the one that goes on the transmission cuz i already replaced it and it did not solve the problem. Any help as to which one it is so i can buy it at a parts store, already been pulled over twice for speeding.

I am attaching a picture of the sensor location in the transfer case but You may need to replace the sensor on top of the rear differential.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

so its more likely that its the one on the transfer case? i'd hate to replace it and not be able to return it if its the on on the rear differential? or will i have to replace both of them?

I would replace the one in the differential as most likely this is the problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would the one in the differential also control the odometer cuz that stopped working when the speedometer did.
Yes it controls both