jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
16831211

1998 dodge: quad cab truck..infinity..factory installed..whats

Customer Question

I have a 1998 dodge Ram qud cab truck with the infinity 6 speaker factory installed radio.
The tweeter and woofer speakers stopped playing together at once. Can you tell me the common area that would cause this and whats the repair soultion?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 4 years ago.
Chances are it is the radio itself.The best way to test speakers, is to hook up a known good speaker; they even tell us this in Chrysler repair manuals. You could even swap the speakers, left to right to determine if it is the speaker or the deck
Experience: 32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I assume that since all four speakers went at once that it is a radio problem. I even went and purchased a OEM radio and hooked it up and got the same results. I guess I'm just unlucky.

Well now hold on a minute; I didn't know you lost all 4 speakers. That changes everything. You have Infinity system; means you have an amplifier, and could be the fuse to the amp, or the amp itself. I will send diagrams, if needed; first you need to check all of your fuses, under hood, and under dash, if there are any there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to make this clear-I lost both tweeters (in door post) and both wooflers ( in front doors). The midrange speakers( rear doors)still work. A diagram would help. I did call the local Dodge dealership to "price" a amp for the system. The parts deparetment indicated they did not see a amp in this system and that kind of set me back as to what was going on. You mentioned that I should check the fuses. I have looked at the fuse box thats on the drivers side of the dash and did not recoginized any thing beyond the radio fuse. Since the readio still plays I did not bother to insoect it. Can you tell me where the amp fuse would be located? Thanks for getting back with me.
get me the last 8 of your vin, and i can see exactly what system is in your truck. I will be in and out all day, so I will be back.( trying to get all my stuff done, before football starts!)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WG156395 I assume that the speakers in the fron doors are woofers since the grill is larger than the grills in the back door and with the radio on you don't hear the deep bass notes.

Here is the description of your speaker system; this tells me that the front speakers have an amp built in each; there is a ''radio choke relay'' that powers both front speakers! Here is the component location, for the relay, and then the wiring to it and the speakers. You could pull a door panel, and check for 12v and ground, at a front speaker, on the wires shown; if OK, then the speakers are bad. If no 12v, then it is in the choke relay. br808140

br808141

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the choke relay a factory part or can it be purchased elsewhere. Also where is it located on the truck?

Factory part; here is the location; Look near the center support