JHoop, Dodge Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

1 inch tear, or split on my dashboard.

I have a 1 inch tear, or split on my dashboard. I want to know what I can do to keep the 2 pieces of material on the dashboard together and not separate any more?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing

Often cheap vinyl fill and color repair kits don't adhere well to the edges of those ugly dashboard cracks, allowing the crack to spread further. If you want to preserve your car dashboard, silicone caulking is a great alternative, as it remains flexible over time, yet is strong enough to stick to the edges of dashboard cracks as they expand and contract. Even better, this form of dashboard crack repair is fast, easy and inexpensive. Read on to learn how to repair cracks in a dashboard

1. 1

Use a utility knife to "V" cut the crack slightly. Be careful not to cut too much, shave away just enough to form a "V" shape, to allow easy application of the silicone caulking.

2. Step 2

Clean well both inside and outside of the crack, removing all dust and loose particles. Allow the area to dry well before proceeding.

3. Step 3

Mask either side of the crack with painters tape to keep the caulking in the opening and not on the good vinyl dashboard. Silicone caulking dries clear, but shiny.

4. Step 4

Apply the silicone caulking into the crack and allow it to dry for 10 to 15 minutes, before removing the tape. If the crack is small, simply remove the tape and allow the silicone to dry. If the crack is larger, you can choose to texture the silicone using the texturizing portion of a vinyl repair kit. It is best to texture before removing the tape, however you must texture within 10 to 15 minutes, before the silicone dries too much to take the texture.

5. Step 5

Paint larger cracks in your dashboard with motor car vinyl paint to reduce visibility. Allow the silicone to dry at least two hours before painting

If you have any more questions , please dont hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop

Edited by JHoop on 1/15/2010 at 3:27 PM EST