Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner

97 Neon: there is fuel, pulled spark plug and there is spark

97 Neon will not run, Will turn over but not start, Checked for fuel at the schrader valve and there is fuel, pulled spark plug and there is spark.....
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 4 years ago.

Good we have fuel at the test port but now we need to take a fuel pressure test and tell me what the pressure reading is a while cranking the engine.

Also see if the engine will start if you spray some starting fluid in the intake. Very often this is a sign of the weak fuel pump.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve, while cranking the engine the pressure gauge reads 47PSI. The problem started last Thursday after the car had sat for 3 days in single digit temps. I thought at first that the fuel lines may be frozen, this is my daughters car, it has about 1/2 tank of fuel. I did in the 5 year old battery trying to get it to start, that is why i replaced the battery and also the cables due to the condition of the cable ends
Very good steps we have good fuel pressure and we have would spark that can legally the injector pulse that's missing, the two things that can cause this to go is either a faulty PCM or the antitheft system has you locked out of the PCM. As are cranking it is the theft light on or is it flashing on the instrument cluster
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the theft light is not on or flashing, the engine will try to fire every few seconds
If you have no theft light on good spark and a good fuel pressure, the lack of injection pulse indicates a faulty PCM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is their any other way to verify that the PCM is the problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked for signal at the fuel injectors with a noid light and suddenly the engine started to run, shut the engine off and reattached the connector to the fuel injector and the motor started. I need to replace the positive battery cable (again) tomorrow, I will check it again to see if it will start. If there are any codes for this engine then the check engine light should be on, correct?

NO , IF THERE IS SPARK AND FUEL PRESURE BUT NO INJ PULSE THEN ITS A BAD PCM ,

SINCE IT RUNS NOW YOU HAVE AN INTERMITANT TROUBLE IN THE PCM

BE PREPARED IT WILL DIE AGAIN

Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner