David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

speedmeter on dodge neon 2003 is not working

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 4 years ago.

Do you know what transmission sensor you replaced? There are 2 speed sensors on it.

Have you had any other work done?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I no is black plastic goes on back of the transmision on front to the fire wall, I check fiuses clean eny bat sensor conection wit sensor clener

Another possibility is the pinion factor in the trans controller somehow has gotten reset and needs to be programmed.

David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience: 19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how I reset and reprogram the output speed sensor

That will require a trip to the dealership to set the pinion factor. It is done using a DRBIII, which is a dealership scan tool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but I forget to tollyuo this is a standar transmision no automatic
That changes everything. Let me see what drives the speedometer.

So this is what you've changed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes is the one I change whit a brand new part from the dealer

Since the sensor was changed already there can only be an issue with the wiring or the speedometer head itself. If you have a DVOM all you can do is check toe wiring from the sensor to where it connects to the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all ready did check all the wairing an sensor plugs,at this time I take the dash panel and put back but I do not can go to dealer to pay for eny service because I do not have the money this is the reason I am using this web side
One other thought, there is a gear drive that produces the signal from the sensor to the speedometer head. If that gear is bad, you will not get a signal. If you can test the output signal from the sensor you can determine if that gear is causing the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
who I test or change the gear
Do you have a DVOM?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are yuo thing cheker or autozone the one chek for free they have one
A DVOM is a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter. It is used to check for voltage or resistance in a circuit. This is something you would have to buy unless AZ rents them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so in case dis is working fine wat is the nex step to falow
If the sensor is sending a signal, the next step is to see if that signal is making it to the speedometer. The sensor sends a signal to the engine computer which then sends the signal to the speedometer.

Try doing this test:

Perform the Instrument Cluster Self Test.

Turn the ignition off.

Press and hold the Trip Reset button.

Turn the ignition on.

Observe the gauge in question while the Instrument Cluster performs the Self Test.

The gauges should position at the following calibration points:

Speedometer: 30mph (51km/h BUX), 60mph (102km/h BUX), 90mph (153km/h

BUX), 120mph

Tachometer: 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000

Fuel: E, 1/2, Full

Temperature: Lo, Mid Lo, High

Did the gauge in question operate properly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok this is all for today I need to star on all this I contac with yuo tomorrow thank yuo for all yuor help today
No problem, talk to you soon.