Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

How to change a water pump on a 2004 dodge stratus , 2.

Customer Question

how to change a water pump on a 2004 dodge stratus , 2.4 liter
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

hello, this is a big job. You have to remove the timing belt to get to the pump. Once belt is off, the pump can be unbolted

below is t belt info. be sure to print as the pix will time out after awhile

TIMING BELT

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Required Special Tools:

• MD998738: Adjusting Screw
  • MD998767: Tensioner Wrench
REMOVAL SERVICE POINT
<> TIMING BELT REMOVAL
The crankshaft should always be turned in the forward direction only.

1. Turn the crankshaft in the forward direction (to the right) to align the camshaft sprocket timing marks.

1. Loosen the tension pulley fixing bolt. CAUTION: If the timing belt is to be re-used, use chalk to mark (on its flat side) an arrow indicating the clockwise direction.
  2. Move the tension pulley to the water pump side, and then remove the timing belt.

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS
>>A<< AUTO-TENSIONER INSTALLATION

1. Apply 98 - 196 N (22 - 44 lbs.) force to the pushrod of the auto-tensioner by pressing it against a metal object (such as the engine block) and measure the movement of the pushrod. Standard value: Within 1 mm (0.04 in.) A: Length when it is free (not pressed) B: Length when it is pressed A - B: Movement
  2. If it is outside the standard value, replace the auto-tensioner. CAUTION: Never compress the pushrod too fast, or it may be damaged.
    1. Use a press or vise to gently compress the auto-tensioner pushrod until pin hole A of the pushrod and pin hole B of the tensioner cylinder are aligned.

1. When the holes are aligned, insert the set pin. NOTE: When replacing the auto-tensioner with a new part, the pin will be in the auto-tensioner.
    2. Install the auto-tensioner to the engine. >>B<< TIMING BELT INSTALLATION

1. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and oil pump sprocket.

1. After aligning the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips) head 8 mm (0.3 in.) screwdriver. Check to be sure that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm (2.4 inches) or more. If the screwdriver will only go in 20 - 25 mm (0.8 - 1.0 in.) before striking the counterbalance shaft, turn the sprocket once, realign the timing marks and check that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm (2.4 inches) or more. The screwdriver should not be taken out until the timing belt is installed. CAUTION: If the timing belt is re-used, install so that the arrow marked on it at time of removal is pointing in the clockwise direction.
    2. Install the belt to the crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and camshaft sprocket in that order, so that there is no slackness in the belt tension.

1. Set the tension pulley so that the pin holes are at the bottom, press the tension pulley lightly against the timing belt, and then provisionally tighten the fixing bolt.
    5Adjust the timing belt tension.

>>C<< TIMING BELT TENSION ADJUSTMENT

1. After turning the crankshaft 1/4 of a revolution in the counterclockwise direction, turn it in the clockwise direction until the timing marks are aligned. CAUTION: When tightening the fixing bolt, make sure that the tension pulley does not turn with the bolt.

1. Loosen the tension pulley fixing bolt, and then use special tool MD998767 and a torque wrench to tighten the fixing bolt to the specified torque while applying tension to the timing belt. Timing belt tension torque: 3.5 Nm (31 in. lbs.) Tightening torque: 48 ±6 Nm (36 ±4 ft. lbs.)
    2. Remove the set pin that has been inserted into the auto-tensioner.

1. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions clockwise so that the timing marks are aligned. After leaving it for 15 minutes, measure the amount of protrusion of the auto-tensioner. Standard value (A): 3.8 - 4.5 mm (0.15 - 0.18 in.)
    5If the amount of protrusion is outside the standard value, repeat steps (1) through (4).
    1. Check again to be sure that the timing marks of each sprocket are aligned.

Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

here is pump diagram

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your help , I can see this is more than can handle , I will have to take it to someone who can !
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
I have done many and still do not like doing them. i do recommend a shop or someone familiar with timing belts etc.. Lmk if i can help with anything at another time. thanks