brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1999 dodge: trying to replace my heater core..ton..whole dash board

Customer Question

I am trying to replace my heater core on a 1999 dodge pickup 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 with a/c. Do I need to take the whole dash board completely? And how do I get to the heater core from there?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes the instrument panel needs to come out. When loose it needs to be pulled away from the body far enough to remove the heater and a/c housing as it also needs to come out. After the housing is out then you take the housing apart to replace the core.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was hoping there would be pictures showing how?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
What do you want the pictures for the dash or the heater box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
both?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
  1. Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
  2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  3. Remove the Airbag Control Module (ACM) and bracket from the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  4. Remove the trim panels from the left and right cowl side inner panels.
  5. Remove the steering column opening cover and knee blocker from the instrument panel. Refer to:Remove the steering column from the vehicle.From under the driver side of the instrument panel:
    1. Disconnect the park brake release handle linkage rod from the park brake mechanism on the left cowl side inner panel.
    2. Unplug the wire harness connector from the park brake switch on the park brake mechanism.
    3. Unplug the three junction block wire harness connectors that are closest to the dash panel.
    4. Remove the screw in the center of the instrument panel to bulkhead wire harness connector and unplug the connector.
    5. Unplug the instrument panel to door wire harness connector located directly below the bulkhead wire harness connector.
    6. If the vehicle is equipped with the Infinity sound system option, unplug the Infinity wire harness connector located on the outboard side of the bulkhead wire harness connector.
    7. Unplug the wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
    8. Unplug the heater and air conditioner vacuum harness connector located near the inboard end of the heater-A/C housing.
    9. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
  1. From the under the passenger side of the instrument panel, disconnect the radio antenna coaxial cable connector.

graphic

1. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 13 mm (0.50 inch) .
  2. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  3. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
  4. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position, reach over the passenger side end of the instrument panel to:
    1. Unplug the two wire harness connectors located on the heater-A/C housing.
    2. Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip off of the blend-air door lever.
  1. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.
  2. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting hardware as follows:
    • Instrument panel top to dash panel screws - 3 N.m (28 in. lbs.)
    • Instrument panel roll-down screws - 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.) .

Edited by brownjeff on 1/2/2010 at 11:39 PM EST
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

With instrument panel removed:

• Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
  • Disconnect the accumulator inlet tube refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator outlet tube.Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
  • Drain the engine cooling system.
  • Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater-tubes.Install plugs in, or tape over the opened core tubes.
  • Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the dash panel and set it aside, but do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors.
  • Remove the nuts from the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  • graphic

1. Remove the nuts that secure the heater A/C housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel
    2. Pull the heater A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
    3. Remove the heater A/C housing from the vehicle.

DISASSEMBLY

1. Place the heater-A/C housing upside down on a work bench.
    2. Remove the screw that secures the floor duct to the bottom of the heater A/C housing and slide the floor duct off of the center heat duct adaptor.
    3. Unsnap the center heat duct adaptor from the bottom of the heater-A/C housing and remove the screw that was hidden by the adaptor.
    4. Remove the remaining screws on the bottom of the heater-A/C housing that secure the two housing halves together.
    5. Place the heater-A/C housing right side up on the work bench.
    6. Separate the top half of the heater-A/C housing from the bottom half and set it aside.

ASSEMBLY

1. Position the top half of the heater-A/C housing over the bottom half£ Be certain that the mode door pivot pins are properly inserted in their pivot holes.
    2. Place the heater-A/C housing upside down on the work bench.
    3. Install and tighten the screws on the bottom of the heater-A/C housing that secure the two housing halves together. Tighten the screws to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
    4. Snap the center heat duct adaptor onto the bottom of the heater-A/C housing.
    5. Slide the floor duct onto the center heat duct adaptor and secure it with a screw to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the mounting screw to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
    2. Install the nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.) .
    3. Install and tighten the nuts onto the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.) .
    4. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system.
    5. IF the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 10. if the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, unplug or remove the tape from the accumulator inlet tube and the evaporator outlet tube fittings. Connect the accumulator inlet tube coupler to the evaporator outlet tube.
    6. Unplug or remove the tape from the liquid line and the evaporator inlet tube fittings. Connect the liquid line coupler to the evaporator inlet tube.
    7. Evacuate the referigerant system.
    8. Charge the ferrigerant system.
    9. Reinstall the PCM to the dash panel.
    10. Reinstall the instrument panel in the vehicle.Connect the battery negative cable.
    11. Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.