brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2002 dodge caravan: 2 to 1st gear, tranny was rebuilt 5,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge caravan that downshifts hard between 2 to 1st gear, tranny was rebuilt 5,000 miles ago with a non transferable warranty, any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Has it done this since the rebuild?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not according to the gentleman i bought it from, wasn"t able to fully test it becasue the transfer case was out, after i had that repaired and was driving home i noticed the hard down shift, wierd thing is , is it is not all the time? I just tried some transmedic thinking it was a sticky valve, thought it was better becasue it didn'T DO IT FOR 20 MINUTES, then it started again.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If the battery was disconnected at any time for repairs it may have messed up the memory in the computer. I suggest having the computer reset. It is called a "quick learn" and this will reset it and take it back to the factory settings and fix the hard down shift. A scan tool will be needed for the repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would just disconnecting the battery terminals for let say 1 minute work? Where does the scan tool come into play? Thanks..doing good so far.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No disconnecting the battery will not help. It needs to be reprogramed and that is what the scan tool is for. It is needed to do the procedure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would a typical repair shop have this scan tool or would you have to bring it to a dodge dealer? What kind of scan tool do u suggest? When i bring it in what do i tell them i want done, is there a name for the procedure? Don't worry i am sending you payment, you've been a big help...will this information stay online for me to access?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

1. the scan tool is a DRBIII and most repair shops have them

2. The procedure is called: Quick Learn

3. The information can always be accessed by going back to the web site and logging in under the profile you created. After log in just go to "my questions" and you will see the question there. Then click on it and all the information will be there.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX stud! will let u know how it works!

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome.....

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you make decent money doing this on the side? That is my last question?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
lol......every one has a different idea what decent money is. I can't say as the site doesn't allow me to tell, but in my opinion it is or I wouldn't be doing it.