brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

How do I replace the cigarette lighter socket in a 2004 Dodge

How do I replace the cigarette lighter socket in a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Pull the cigar lighter knob and element out of the cigar lighter receptacle base, or unsnap the protective cap from the power outlet receptacle base.
    1. Look inside the cigar lighter or power outlet receptacle base and note the position of the rectangular retaining bosses of the mount that secures the receptacle base to the panel.
    2. Insert a pair of external snap ring pliers into the cigar lighter or power outlet receptacle base and engage the tips of the pliers with the retaining bosses of the mount.
    3. Squeeze the pliers to disengage the mount retaining bosses from the receptacle base and, using a gentle rocking motion, pull the pliers and the receptacle base out of the mount.
    4. Pull the receptacle base away from the instrument panel far enough to access the instrument panel wire harness connector.
    5. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the cigar lighter or power outlet receptacle base connector receptacle.
    6. Remove the cigar lighter or power outlet mount from the instrument panel.

INSTALLATION

1. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the cigar lighter or power outlet receptacle base connector receptacle.
    2. Install the cigar lighter or power outlet mount into the instrument panel.
    3. Align the splines on the outside of the cigar lighter or power outlet receptacle base connector receptacle with the grooves on the inside of the mount.
    4. Press firmly on the cigar lighter or power outlet receptacle base until the retaining bosses of the mount are fully engaged in their receptacles.
    5. Install the cigar lighter knob and element into the cigar lighter receptacle base, or the protective cap into the power outlet receptacle base.
    6. Hook the battery back up
  • graphic

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    There is no snap ring on this lighter receptacle
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    correct you are just using the snap ring pliers to disengage the mount.