Doug in North Carolina
Doug in North Carolina, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Mechanic, 12 Years Experience Specializing in HVAC, Electrical and Driveability Problems.

How do you troubleshoot the fuel pump on a 2004 dodge durango?

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Doug in North Carolina replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer, I'm Doug.

Beat on the bottom of the tank first. I am able to be more technical if that doesn't work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just tried beating on the bottom of the tank....nothing. It started when i first tried it this morning, but then ran rough for a few seconds, and died. Since then, it won't start. The engine sounds like it's catching, but won't start. I can smell gas in the engine compartment, and when i turn on the ignition, there's a whirring sound coming from the area of the fuel tank, so it sounds like the pump is priming. Any suggestions?

That does sound like the pump is working. To rule out a lack of fuel as the cause, you could spray some carb cleaner in to the intake and see if it catches and runs. If it does run off of a supplemental fuel then we can continue troubleshooting fuel issues.

Are there any faults codes turning the check engine light on? If you turn the key on, off, on, off, on (leave on) then monitor the odometer display. See if you get any type of code to display, write them down and let me know what you find.

You can also unplug and remove a coil, plug it back in and insert a phillips screw driver in to the end and have someone else crank it over. You want to see about a 1/4 gap that the spark can jump and it should be a strong, blue spark.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I cycle the ignition, I get the code P 0522....

P0522 is a code for the oil pressure too low. I don't believe this to be your problem but unplug it and attempt to crank it just in case.

I've done a quick search of articles in my database and commonly the Camshaft Position Sensor can cause a no start but without a scan tool or an oscilloscope it would be hard to know for certain that this is the cause. And since there are no other codes than the oil pressure one we would have to manually diagnose your condition.

Do you have access to a multimeter, noid light set, oscilloscope or any professional level diagnostic tools? Also, if you would like instructions on checking the fuel pump then I can do that as well.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to try the carb cleaner and coil...if they don't lead anywhere, i think i can get my hands on a multimeter and noid light set....probably not an o-scope though...
Yeah, I understand. A good o-scope isn't cheap. Check spark first before spraying any fuel in the engine bay. Things get exiting sometimes if you do it the other way first.
Did you still need help with your Durango?