CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi and the gas mileage is only

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi and the gas mileage is only 12 mpg on the highway. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 6 years ago.
Here are the things you can do, listed in the order that they will have the most affect:
1. Slow down, speeds over 65mph decrease fuel mileage dramatically.
2. Make sure your tires are inflated to the correct pressure listed on the door jamb.
3. Use the cruise control as much as possible, speeding up and slowing down wastes fuel.
4. Make sure the air filter is clean and the spark plugs are not worn out. The spark plugs should be changed every 30,000 miles.
5. Make sure the engine is getting up to normal operating temperature and running properly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The truck runs great; just the mileage is poor. Will an K&N Open air filter, a chip or anything else improve the mileage? What is the normal mileage that this truck should be getting?
There is no air filter or chip that is going to improve mileage. If everything is up to par and you are driving 65mph I would expect 15-17mpg.