Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A Malfunction

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Malfunction (Cam/Rotor/Injector
What exactly does this mean the problem is since its not all the time it just happens time from time
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 4 years ago.

P0251-CP3 PUMP REGULATOR CONTROL

When Monitored: When the ignition is on.

Set Condition: The ECM detects a discrepancy between the PWM supplied to the

Electronic Fuel Control Actuator and the PWM returned from the Electronic Fuel Control

Actuator.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

FUEL PUMP

(K181) FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR DRIVER OPEN

(K31) RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN FROM FCA TO ECM

(K181) FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO EXTERNAL VOLTAGE

(K31) FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO EXTERNAL VOLTAGE

(K31) FCA RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K181) FCA DRIVER CIRCUIT

(K181) FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K181) FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT

(K31) FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT

INTERMITTENT CONDITION

ECM

Since this appears to be quite infrequent, I would suspect a wiring issue going to the fuel control actuator on the pump or at the PCM..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with the conditions i described to u, u would say the injection pump is probly ok i just have a wiring issue around the actuator or pcm. and in no way this could be a filter problem or other mechanical. it just seems strange that it will trip, try to kill engine, and in a bleank of an eye be back to normal, other then th eeng. light still on for 5 to 10 key rev.

The injection pump is still a possibility for this code, however, the wiring and the fuel control actuator on the pump are far more likely than the pump itself.

This is definately not a filter issue, this is an electrical issue.

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist