moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

2001 dodge ram 1500, weak heat, blend door actuator motor turns

2001 dodge ram 1500, weak heat, blend door actuator motor turns back and forth when turning temp control knob. Both heater hoses feel a lot warmer then the air inside cab. New rad. flushed heater core, new 195 degree thermo. still only warm heater air, would like it hot.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 6 years ago.
The blend door is most likely broken and is not opening all the way. the only way to know would be to remove the housing and take it apart to see. if both heater hoses are hot and the actuator is working this is all it can be.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

From what I see it a big job to remove the heater, with ac to disconnect and all the dash work. is there no otherway to get to the blend door? If the blend door is broken why is it that when you turn the heat selector to cold it gets cold, or halfway and you lose 1/2 of what you have? Is there someplace I can get a print of what the heater housing looks like?

Expert:  moparfl replied 6 years ago.
The only way to remove it is to remove the whole housing to do it and yes it is a big job. if the door is broken it may only let it go to cold and then jams when it trys to go to hot.I will see if I can find a picture of it and send to you.
Expert:  moparfl replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How much movement should the door have? Can I tell by looking at the actuator motor shaft if the door is moving all the way? It looks like aluminum shaft with a flat side about1/2" around. On cold the flat side is at about 11 o-clock on hot it moves to about 5 o-clock. Is is possible there is something in there not allowing it to go all the way? (I think something might have fell down the defrost vents) If I could find a way to to view it before starting a large task that would be great, or if I could clean it out somehow. and yes I'm willing to drill a hole if need be into the housing to see the problem.

The picture you sent, is the actuator motor located on the bottom of temp blend door?

Expert:  moparfl replied 6 years ago.
there is no wat for some thing to get in there from the defrost vents and you would not be able to tell just looking without taking it apart to see if it is opening all the way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The picture you sent, is the actuator motor located at the bottom of number 1 (temp blend door). how far apart are the two doors 1 and 2
Expert:  moparfl replied 6 years ago.
The blend door is number 2 in the picture and they are close together where they open and close.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, one last question, if i was to remove the top of the dash, can the top half of the heater house be removed with-out taking the whole heater housing out of the truck? I love mopars and have owned them all my life but this trucks heater issue is really ticking me off. sorry just venting....
Expert:  moparfl replied 6 years ago.
I can under stand. I have never try to do that but as many as I have taken apart there would be no way to have enough room to do that.