sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

how can i fix a short runner valve

how can i fix a short runner valve
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What model is your vehicle and which engine do you have? (I'm assuming something with a 3.5)

How many miles are on your car?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is a dodge magnum sxt 3.5liter and it has 33,586miles

Ok great.

The short runner valve on your car is a valve in the intake that directs airflow either through the long intake runners or around them. The short runner valve actuator is the electric motor that moves the short runner valve to it's correct position. The SRV actuator is the black plastic box mounted to the front of your intake manifold at the centerline, right above where the top radiator hose meets the engine.

There have been some problems with these actuators on all of the different vehicles the 3.5 is in. Most likely the actuator will need to be replaced. Since you have less than 36,000 miles on your 2008 car all you'll have to do is see your dealer, and unless you have some type of warranty restrictions I don't know about, the repair will be covered under warranty.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am a second owner of this car if i am right i am not covered on any kinda warranty
Basic warranty is 3 years and 36,000 miles from the original in-service date of the vehicle. Until you hit 3/36 the car is covered no matter how many owners it's had. Some powertrain warranties and extended warranties aren't transferable, but basic warranty goes with the vehicle no matter what.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks but what shold i do if they are not willing to help me; what kind of repair prices am i looking at

Unless the warranty is restricted for some reason (normally because the car was totalled, flood damage, etc), they can't and won't deny you warranty coverage. If you did have to pay for the repair the part would be about $88 and the labor calls for .3 hour.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

this is a emialed answer that has worked for many people with the same problem what do you think

I had a 06 with the 3.5 at the shop last month with that code. I reflashed the PCM and the code came back on the 2nd road test. The TSB is useless on this one.

Here is how I fixed it and you can too. Take the short intake runner solenoid off. It`s the one on the drivers side of the plenum. Wait, I`ll go get a pic for you.

Here it is:

You`ll see a notch in the solenoid and a tab inside the plenum when you remove it. Gently try to move the tab clockwise with you fingers or needle nose pliers. You`ll feel it is stuck. Go ahead and turn it anyway. It will free up. Then go get some Berrymans B12 or similar carburetor cleaner in a spray can and start spraying inside the plenum while turning the valve (tab) back and forth. You`ll notice that it starts moving more free after you work it a little bit.

Now put the solenoid back on and clear the code.

The reason it sticks is because of too much oil saturating the air intake plenum then forming "gunk", for lack of a better term. Want to know how to prevent this? Get a catch can for your car. It will save you time, money and aggravation in the future

You can try it, but it may not help. This would help if the short runner valve was physically sticking in the intake. That would definitely set this code if the valve was sticking bad enough. There have been problems with these actuators on the Chargers, Magnums, Avengers, and Sebrings though. If you remove the actuator and find the valve moves freely, or if you free it up and the code returns you'll need to have the actuator replaced.