ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
14457476

1998 dodge dakota: v6..water pump, steering pump..tensioner

I have a 1998 dodge dakota v6 the belt is squealing like crazy. i have recently (in the last 2 weeks) changed the water pump, steering pump, idler pulley, tensioner, and fan clutch after all this the belt still squealed so this past monday i changed the belt and things got quiet for 2 days now the high pitch sqeal is back i know its the belt cuz if i hit it with dressing it quiets down for a little bit then returns how do i get rid of this sqeal
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 4 years ago.
HI, so far you replace everything and the noise continues but have check for pulley aligment if they are not it will cause the belt to squeal after some time running, make sure all the pulleys are aligned with each other,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do I check the pulley allignment? and yeah i have changed alot of things and the new belt fixed it for about a day and a half
yes i think the pulley is out of alignment that is why, the way to check is install the belt and look at the top pulley and see if they all line up with each other from the top to the bottom , was this cause after replacing the power steering pump or the tensioner , did you replace the drive pulley?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will check it out and no the belt was squealing and chattering before i changed all the other parts
ok, check all the pulleys and make sure they are align its a comon thing on 3.9 liters .
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv