sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Location of heater control valve 1996 dodge caravan 3.

location of heater control valve 1996 dodge caravan 3.3 l

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Your van doesn't use a heater control valve to stop coolant flow to the heater core. The NS body style vans (starting in 1996) didn't use these valves. The heater hoses are plumbed straight from the engine to the heater core and there is constant flow any time the engine is running.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have no heat coming from the air vents in the cabin at the dash. alldata shows a part number for the valve in question, do you have a drawing or flow schematic. it is my understanding that the flow to the heater core should be controlled by some means or it would introduce heat tempered into the cabin at all time even in a.c. cooling mode

If you look up "heater control valve" for a 1996 minivan and read carefully it says heater core, and the part number it gives is for the heater core, along with the 2.0 hours of labor to replace it. (I just checked to see what they were saying, because these vans have no heater control valve).

Chrysler hasn't used heater control valves on almost any vehicle since the mid 90's, they aren't needed. Coolant flows through the heater core at all times the engine is running. The temperature of the air coming out of the vents is controlled by electronic actuators to divert the air through the a/c evaporator or the heater core depending on setting. If you are running the a/c it simply doesn't route the air through the heater core.

Does the heat blow ice cold or at least a little bit of warmth?

Have you checked the coolant level?

With the van hot either from under the hood or from under the driver's side dash, feel both heater hoses and see if they are both just as hot as the top radiator hose, or if one hose is cooler than the other.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just checked both hoses on engine compartment side of heater core both feel same temp. engine is normal operating temp possible no or low flow to heater core. what hose is inlet top or bottom? i assume next step is to check flow at inlet to heater core. if i have flow there this would seem to tell me i have no flow thru the core itself. if that is the case is it possible to flush the core? if so can i flush independent of the entire system so as not to contaminate the rest of the system, can i flush with air? or must i use water.

I would try to flush the heater core if the heat seems weak (if it's ice cold air you probably have a deeper problem than the heater core being plugged). I would flush directly at the heater core with a garden hose. You can remove the hoses from it and then use a couple peices of bulk hose slid onto the heater core tubes along with your garden hose. Run the water in one direction until the water comes out clear, and then run the water in the other direction. Do this a couple times each direction until it's clear again. Then reinstall the heater hoses, bleed the air from the cooling system by running the engine with the radiator cap off until the engine is full hot and no more bubbles come out, and then see if you have heat or if it's at least better.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
which nipple on the heater core is inlet top or bottom
I don't recall which is which and they aren't called out in the service information. You'll be able to tell by looking at the hoses. The supply for the heater core comes from a hose off the back of the intake manifold. Look at the back of the intake and you will see a black metal tube bolted on with two 10mm bolts, and a heater hose attached to this. Follow this hose to the firewall, this is your supply hose.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks for all your help and have a merry christmas and a happy new year

You're welcome, and good luck. Happly holidays to your too!