b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist

1997 dodge Ram 1500: It Turns over but wont start.

Customer Question

i have a 1997 dodge Ram 1500. its not wanting to start. It Turns over but wont start. could someone please lead me in the right direction to start looking for the problem. thanks e-mail me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
ok first thing to do would be to check if you have fuel pressure there is a test port on the fuel rail that you can press on the center of and see if you have fuel to the engine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay thanks we will check this out in the morning and let u know if this solves the problem
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
ok let me know what you find
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again....cold and late here. will have to wait til morning.
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
ok
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay we tried the fuel pressure test port and that didnt work.. we also replaced the core but there is still no fire on the plug.... can u think of anything else?
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
do you mean you don't have any spark at the spark plugs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes and we replaced the coil... placed a screwdriver on the coil wire to the coil and no spark...
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
ok then it is either the pick up inside the distributor or the crank position sensor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is my sons pickup he drove it just 2 days ago to college.. after classes he went to start it and he had to get a jump. drove it home and now it wont start at all.. if this helps u any. we will look into the crank position sensor. thanks will let u know tomorrow..
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
ok let me know tommorow and i will help you from there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more thing where is the sensor located and is it hard to change?
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
it is located in the bell housing of the trans behind the cylinder head on the passengers side of the truck and has two bolts holding it in it's not hard to replace the worst part is actually getting to it because of the location
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay thanks let u know tomorrow...
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just a note to let u know that that was the problem. thanks and i wish u and yours a very Merry CHRISTmas....
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
great glad that fixed it thanks and you have a great Christmas too!