bill
bill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 yrs in the field 19 with Dodge Chrysler Jeep,expert in electrical drivability

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan: the 3.8L V6 is using oil..quarts

Customer Question

My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8L V6 is using oil. What can cause this. It used about 2.5 quarts since last change almost 3 months ago. there is nothing leaking on my driveway.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.

hi i'm bill

first how many miles in that 3 months? if it was 3000 (average) you are ok that equals less than 1 quart in 1000 miles which is perfectly ok for any car or truck you have a problem when you use MORE than 1 quart in 500 miles. if you are a heavy driver and put say 6000 miles in 3 months your oil useage just jumped to 1 quart in about 2000 miles which is great.

the spec for oil usage in a new engine (under 50,000 miles) is 1 quart in 1000 miles or better, any engine over 50,000 it drops to 1 quart in 500 miles.

now with that said, if you are in the range of needing to have something done, any oil leak will cause you to lose oil and you may not see anything at all on the driveway you need to look under the car anw wet spots are oil coming fron somewhere a dye added to the oil will pinpoint it. ok the engine is dry then you need to go in the engine looking for worn valve seals worn oil control piston rings or a bad valve guide, all of which are very uncommon UNLESS you are NOT changing the oil according to the MINIMUM (5000 miles between oil changes) spec set in the owners manual the prefered interval is3 months or 3000 miles between oil changes WHICH EVER COMES FIRST

you must click ACCEPT to complete the transaction if the re are further questions regarding this question reply to this thread and i will be happy to help(failure to click accept means I do not get paid for my time)

Edited by bill on 12/5/2009 at 3:28 PM EST