Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

2003 dodge ram 1500: I disconnect the heater core..flush..10 minutes

Customer Question

my 2003 dodge ram 1500 4.7 is having heater problems. If I disconnect the heater core and flush it for 10 minutes I will have heat for 3 days and then it fades out. What could be the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
If flushing the heater core somehow helps for a short period of time, It indicates that your heater core is clogged and has to be replaced. If you ever used a stop leak magic stuff, that could be a reason for you current issue.
Next time you flush it, pay attention on what kind of contamination you get at the output hose. If you get a lot of debris out of the heater core, back flush it several times changing the water flow direction and use compressed air between water applying.
And finally have the whole cooling system flushed and then use high quality antifreeze/water mix.
We can go back and forth on this thread, so feel free to reply if you need more assistance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done this multiple times over the last two months and I get the same result. No leaking or water sounds in the dash either. The blend doors seem to be funtioning fine too.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Well, if flushing does not help, then you will need a new heater core.
You have already checked all the possible reasons.
Let me know if you need more information.