sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2003 dodge neon 2.0 code p0113 how do i fix for smog

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Which wire did you run from the IAT to the engine controller?

Do you have a voltmeter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i do have a voltometer and what do you mean by which wire old and discolered but it was the hot wire

Let's start by seeing what we have going on electrically. Unplug the IAT (the sensor in the air intake inlet. Put the black lead of your voltmeter on ground, set the meter to 200 ohms. Use the red lead of the meter to probe the brown/yellow wire. You should see continuity to ground, but it will have a little bit of resistance. let me know how many ohms you see.

Then set the meter to 20v DC, turn the key on, and check the voltage on the second wire in the connector, the black/red wire. Let me know what you see for this also.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
800 ohms and 4.9 volts

800 ohms is quite alot. I would have expected that to be in the 30-40 range or less. Lay in a jumper to ground on that brown/yellow ground wire, clear the code, and restart the engine and see if the code resets. You've got the correct voltage on the signal wire for an unplugged sensor, so we know the reference voltage from the controller is ok, we know the wire running to the sensor is good (it should be, it's new anyway) This leaves either a bad sensor or a poor ground.

The sensor gets a 5v reference, it runs through the sensor and then to ground. The sensor's internal resistance changes depending on temperature and this is what varies the signal voltage. If there isn't sufficient ground on the other side of the circuit it's going to set this code for "volts high".

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
after doing the jumper and reseting the code it kept the 113 code and added 73

Where is the sensor located that you are testing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
next to the air box in the tube

The other code is for the ambient temp sensor, also a volts high code. Is the ambient temp sensor unplugged? You've never seen this code?

How did this problem come about? Was there any body work done in the front? Slide underneath real quick and have a look at the wiring harness that runs along the lower radiator support. Is there any damage to the wiring at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i went to get smoged and i failed because of the 73 code a friend of the family with limited mechanical skills helped me find and fix the 73 code but then the 113 code came up as far as the wireing harness goess some months back my dog chased a squirrel into the car and chewed up the wires i managed to patch all them together one by one and have had no problems. i am not sure when the 73 code first appeared.
So the P0073 coming up tonight when you put the jumper wire in wasn't totally unexpected then. I though we somehow caused it with the jumper wire, and if everything was wired right that would be near impossible to do, since we were grounding the same circuit that the ambient temp sensor uses too.

Let's clear the codes again to start fresh. Then turn the key off, unplug the IAT, jump across the terminals of the sensor connector, turn the key on and see if you set a P0112.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the codes comeing up now are 113 and 72
Make sure you do it in that exact order. You'll need to have everything plugged in, turn the key on and clear the code, then turn the key off. Then unplug the sensor and short across the pins, start the engine up and see what code resets. If you had the key on at the wrong time with the sensor unplugged during this you would have accidently reset the P0113. Since you did have the 5v reference an the signal wire if you short these pins together and turn the key on you should see a P0112 as long as you have a good sensor ground on the other side. If the ground and the reference circuits are good and a paperclip won't set a P0112 you've got a bad PCM.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok how do you mean to clear the codes because the only way i know is to unplug the battery for a couple mins
I assumed you had a code reader and were clearing them that way, but disconnecting the battery works fine too.

Put everything back together. Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. With the key still off, unplug the IAT and put the paperclip in between the two terminals in the connector and leave it there. THEN you can start the engine, verify the engine light is back on, and then re read the codes and see what has set. Make sure any time the key is turned on after the codes are cleared that the jumper is in place, if you have the key on with the IAT unplugged it's going to change the results of the test I'm trying to do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the codes still read 113 and 72

Try it with your ground jumper. Take a jumper wire from chassis ground (or the battery negtative) and put the other end on the black/red wire. Start the engine up and re read the codes.

When you had the harness apart did you have any trouble with colors? Did you replace one wire at a time? Absolutely sure each wire is connected correctly and no circuits got crossed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
still getting 113 and 72
colors were not a problem did it one at a time clean repairs with barel conectors and heat shrink tube
If you're positive that all wires were replaced correctly, good soldered connections and protected from water intrusion with heat shrink, and these tests have been followed correctly, you need a PCM. Grounding the signal wire at the sensor will take the signal to 0v, setting a P0112. If you had a good ground, and the signal wire that you replaced from the PCM to the sensor is good, the ground made it to the PCM, but the code didn't set. This tells me the problem is internal in the PCM.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so how can one aspect of the pcm be bad and nothing else is there any way to bypass this error so i can pass smog
The PCM has hundreds of inputs and outputs, electrical calculations, etc, all going on at the same time, through multiple processors, internal voltmeters, voltage regulators etc. It's not uncommon at all for single issues to happen inside a PCM. The only way to keep the check engine light off is to fix the problem. Anything that can alter the tailpipe emissions has to turn the check engine light on per Federal EPA guidelines.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your time
You're welcome!