DODGEEXPERT
DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER
9201135

How to replace A/C expansion valve 99 Caravan

Customer Question

Is there a guide on how to replace the A/C Expansion Valve for a 1999 Dodge Caravan, 3.8L V6?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  DODGEEXPERT replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your post. Well my friend here is the information you will need.

WARNING: THE REFRIGERATION SYSTEM MUST BE COMPLETELY EMPTY BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THIS OPERATION .

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Recover A/C system refrigerant.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. Remove upper generator bracket.
  5. Disconnect generator field wire connector.
  6. Push generator forward.
  7. Remove ground wire at dash panel.

A/C Refrigerant Line Plate

1. Remove the nut retaining the refrigerant line sealing plate to the expansion valve.

Expansion Valve Stud And Mounting Screws

1. Remove the stud from the expansion valve.
  2. Carefully pull the refrigerant line sealing plate assembly from expansion valve towards the front of the vehicle. Use care not to scratch the expansion valve sealing surfaces with pilot tubes.
  3. Cover the openings to prevent contamination.
  4. Remove two screws securing the expansion valve to the evaporator sealing plate.

Expansion Valve Removal

1. Carefully remove expansion valve.
  2. Remove the old O-rings.

INSTALLATION

1. Ensure old O-rings are removed. Install new O-rings on the refrigerant lines and evaporator sealing plate.
  2. Hand-start the stud into the expansion valve and torque to 7 - 11 Nm (64 - 96 in. lbs.) .
  3. Carefully install the expansion valve to the sealing plate. Install the two screws and tighten 8 to 14 Nm (70 to 130 in. lbs.) torque.
  4. Carefully install the refrigerant lines and sealing plate to the expansion valve. Install the nut and tighten 20 to 26 Nm (170 to 230 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Install the ground wire at dash panel.
  6. Pull generator back into the proper position for bracket mounting.
  7. Install generator field wire connector.
  8. Install the upper generator bracket.
  9. Install accessory drive belt.
  10. Evacuate and recharge system.
  11. After expansion valve is installed, the system is charged, and leaks have checked repeat the A/C performance check.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These instructions wasn't quite what I expected. Do you have any step-by-step color photographs of the installation for each and every step?
There are no colr photos of any type of repairs. These are the step by step instructions per chrysler,dodge,jeep.