sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

why do my oil pressure drop to low and than come back to n

Customer Question

why do my oil pressure drop to low and than come back to nornal
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When does it drop? When you are driving or at a stop?

Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold?

Do you hear any engine noise when it drops?

Does the oil light come on?

Have you checked the oil level?

How often have you changed the oil?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

when I am driving when the engine is hot yes I here noise when it drop yes once ervey 12 weeks

If you can hear some engine noise when the pressure drops out then you do have an actual oil pressure problem. The first thing you'll need to do is remove the oil pan and check the oil pump pickup for blockage. If it's ok, remove the pump and check it for damage. Either way, while the pan is off it's a good idea to remove some rod caps and look at the bearings. If the oil light is coming on while driving and there is noise you are starving the bearings of oil, and there will be wear on them. If they do show wear they will need to be replaced, assuming the crank it still in good shape. If the crank is damaged it would have to be turned, polished, or replaced. If you do see sludge blockage at the pickup screen and in the pan it would also be a good idea to go into the valve covers and lifter valley and see how bad it is there, cleaning it up if needed. If you did replace the pickup because of sludge and there is more in the top end it will end up clogging the pickup screen again in the future.