Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years experience AAA Approved Shop Owner Import and Domestic

How do you replace rear wheel bearing on 1993 dodge dakota

Customer Question

how do you replace rear wheel bearing on 1993 dodge dakota
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jim Barlogio replied 6 years ago.
Hi my name is Jim,
Here is the procedure for removing the axle shaft assembly. If your bearing is pressed on to the axle you will need a bearing press and clamp to remove and install.
I usually send these out to a machine shop for about $40 , labor only, they will remove and install a new bearinng and seal for us. It can be dangerous trying to remove it without proper tools. Let me know if this answers your question. Jim

The 7 1/4 inch ring gear looks like a machine shop is required
The 8 1/4 may be a Chev type which requries a slide hammer to remove and a new seal . This you can do .. bearing is pressed into housing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you Jim but too remove the axle do i just loosen the bolt two bolts for the axle
You have either a hole in the axle flange with , usually 4 nut/bolts or no external bolts holding the axle in place. If you see not bolts then the diff cover has to come off and remove the 1 bolt and then push the pin out. Try not to turn the ring gear.. I will check back after lunch. Jim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks jim i won't be able to fix untill 2morrow it is raining in new jersey thanks for your help.
Let me know how it goes. Jim