brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

My 2001 Dodge Durango wont start. The battery seems to provide

My 2001 Dodge Durango won't start. The battery seems to provide power when the key is switched on, but the engine doesn't turn over. There are no clicking noises that you often hear when trying to start with a nearly dead battery. After charging the battery for 20 minutes, the battery charger says the battery is full. I tried to jump start it, but the engine would not turn over. I tried to move the shift lever between Park and Neutral (to check the Neutral Safety Switch), but that didn't cause the engine to turn over. I also checked the starter relay under the hood and swapped it out, but that didn't help.
I did hit a deer at about 15 MPH the last time I drove the car, but I can find no damage whatsoever on the car, not even a scratch.
Any ideas?
Thanks, John
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

John,

Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Lets start at the starter. Have someone hold the key in the crank position and see if getting power to the small wire on the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, give me a couple of minutes.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the starter motor located just above the forward differential (which is offset to the driver's side)? If so, this is very difficult to reach. Again, if this is it, the wires appear to be on the far side (looking up from my position just inside the front left left wheel). I'm not sure I can tell what wires are connected where, from this position.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Lets start with the relay then as it is easier to get to. Remove the relay and tell me which terminals have power when the key is held in the crank position.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure how these are labeled, so here is my view. If you are standing on the side of the car by the left front wheel looking in toward the engine, as you look down at the relay panel, there are four pins that I tested on the relay. I checked the ones on the corners of the relay. The two pins toward the right, toward the back of the car, both register 13.4 volts with the key positioned to start. The forward left pin has no voltage, the forward right pin has 2.6 volts.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me which numbers

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My starter relay is not like the one that you sent a picture of. Mine is an Omron 21911C. It is rectangular, with 5 flat plugs, 3 on the front, 2 on the back. They are numbered underneath. The numbers across the front looking down are 87, 87O(the letter is hard to read almost looking like a backwards D), and 85. The 2 on the back are 86 and 30. The voltages are:

87 0 volts

87O not checked

85 2.6 volts

86 13.4 volts

30 13.4 volts

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Ok now we need to check the starter as you have power where you should. You are correct on the location
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That was a challenge. It took some time as I had to put the car up on stands. I found two wires connecting to the starter. One thick one and one thin one. The thick one showed 10 volts, though it would drop down to 7 when I moved the tester probes. The thin one showed 4.6 to 5 volts. These voltages did not changes when the key was moved to the start position.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
You have a bad battery or battery cable. I suggest replacing the battery. I know you charged it and jumped it but the battery is not taking a charge....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying that because despite having a good voltage that the battery has little power (no amperage)? Is it this lack of battery power that keeps the voltage at the starter from changing? Also, is it normal for there to be 10 volts at the starter when the key is not in the start position. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
There should be 12 volts to the big wire at the starter so you do not have good voltage and with it dropping low when the key is turned this is due to the battery being weak
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Perhaps I wasn't clear before. There is no change on the big wire. It is at 10 volts whether or not the key is turned, there is no change. Should it change?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
It may drop a little but needs 12 volts as it comes directly from the battery so the battery needs replaced as you charged it and it is not reading 12 volts
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,