sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1998 dodge: heat from my truck..thermostat..coil..leak

I am having trouble with my heating system i have a 1998 dodge ram pick-up 5.9 with 170000 miles on it. The problem is that i have not been getting any heat from my truck for the past few weeks i mostly notice it early morning because it is cold so i brought it to my mechenic and we changes out the thermostat because he thought that this was the problem. We dont think that it is the coil because there is anti freeze still in the lines we dont smell anything sweat or notice a leak. He wants to take my dash off beacuse he thinks that there is a problem with the cable beacuse whenyou go from cold to hot it warms up a bit but not enough to keep the truck warm while traveling.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine is getting up to full operating temperature the first thing you need to do is flush out the heater core. Remove the hoses at the opposite end, leaving them on the core. Run a garden hose into each hose for a few minutes to flush each direction. Do this a couple times and put it back together. Top off the coolant and bleed the system and see if you have heat. Your heater core may be partially blocked internally with buildup and this will break alot of it loose. This may very well be all that you need to do to get heat again. This would be a completely different type of heater core problem, you won't see or smell any leakage.

If that doesn't fix the problem then it would be time to roll the dash out and see what's going on with the blend door cable. This is the cable from the control head on the dash to the top of the heater box. It may have broken free of it's mounting on the heater box or slipped out of it's adjusting clip, or the blend door itself may be sticking in the heater box and not able to move to divert air through the heater core.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When i take the hoses off and spray them from both directions i am going to take the hose that comes off were the thermostat enters and flush the water back the opposite end and take the hose off on the other side of the thermostat and flush back towards car right

If you take the hose off at the thermostat that would be a radiator hose, we need to catch the heater hoses going to the heater core. Look at the firewall behind the air filter box and you will see the two heater hoses going through. Follow these back forward. One will run up the right side of the intake and will end up entering a nipple on the intake to the right of the thermostat. Often there will be a junction in this hose around the middle of the intake area where you can remove the hose and will be able to flush from there. The other heater hose runs along the outside edge of the left valve cover, and then attaches to the metal tube coming off the left side of the water pump. Remove this hose there at the tube. Removing these hoses there instead of at the heater core will be better for flushing because you'll be able to put the hose right to them, and it will be much safer than removing them at the firewall. The sensitive copper tubes of the heater core can be easily damaged when removing the hoses at the firewall.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks i know exactly were those are and will try this first and cross my fingers and hope that is what it is so that i dont have to go through the dread of paying some one to pop off the dash to fix the other problem which will cost a bundle thanks so much for the answer!

You're welcome, and good luck with your truck!