moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

where is the EGR CONTROL MODULE LOCATED ON A 1996 DODGE RAM

where is the EGR CONTROL MODULE LOCATED ON A 1996 DODGE RAM DIESEL
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 4 years ago.
There is not an EGR valve on the diesel engine. The EGR valve was not put on until the last few years on the 6.7 diesel.
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience: 19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on page 8w-30-49 of the service manual the egr control module is showen connected to the motor wiring by c111 but no refference is given as to its location on page 8W-90-1 of the connector location chart. Im not trying to be a ass about this but i have to go before a smog ref as i live in california and changed the V10 that wis in the truck to the diesel
I'll check the service manual tomorrow at the shop.

My apologies, should have known it would be on a California vehicle.

I haven't been able to find a location for this module in either of my online applications. I'll open this one back up to see if anyone else can assist. Good luck.

Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

EGR SYSTEM OPERATION

The system consists of:

• An EGR valve assembly. The valve assembly is located at the front of intake manifold EGR Valve and Components The EGR valve is a poppet style valve (on/off only) and is controlled by an internal diaphragm.
  • An EGR valve vacuum regulator solenoid. The solenoid is located at the front/top of cylinder head EGR Valve and Components and will control the on-time and off-time of the EGR valve. A vacuum transducer is not used with this solenoid (EGR valve will be fully open or fully closed)
  • The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to operate the EGR valve vacuum regulator solenoid.
  • The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Location to supply an engine coolant temperature input to the PCM.
  • The Intake Manifold Air Temperature (IAT) sensor Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor Location - Typical to supply an intake manifold air temperature input to the PCM.
  • The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Throttle Position Sensor Location - Typical to supply a voltage reference input to the PCM. This will tell the PCM how far the throttle has been opened. If equipped with the California Emissions Package (with EGR system), the TPS will be used with both automatic and manual transmissions.
  • Unique exhaust and intake manifolds.
  • An EGR tube EGR Valve and Components connecting a passage in the EGR valve to the rear of the exhaust manifold.
  • A vacuum pump to supply vacuum for the EGR valve vacuum regulator solenoid and EGR valve. The pump also supplies vacuum for operation of the power brake booster, speed control servo and the heating/air conditioning system. The crankshaft gear driven pump is located at the front of engine and is attached to power steering pump Engine Vacuum Pump
  • A quick-release one-way check valve EGR Valve and Components to provide a fast release of engine vacuum from EGR valve diaphragm when EGR system is shut down.
  • Vacuum lines and hoses to connect the various components.

When the PCM supplies a ground signal to the EGR valve vacuum regulator solenoid, EGR system operation starts to occur. The PCM will monitor and determine when to supply and remove this ground signal. This will depend on inputs from the engine coolant temperature, throttle position and intake manifold air temperature sensors.

When the ground signal is supplied to the EGR solenoid, vacuum from the vacuum pump will be allowed to pass through the EGR solenoid and on to the EGR valve with a connecting hose.

Exhaust gas recirculation will begin in this order when:

• The engine is running to operate the vacuum pump.
  • The powertrain control module (PCM) determines that engine coolant temperature is more than 140° F but less than 220° F, and intake manifold air temperature is more than 20° F but less than 170° F.
  • A ground signal from the PCM is supplied to the EGR solenoid.
  • Vacuum passes through the EGR solenoid to the EGR valve diaphragm.
  • The inlet seat (poppet valve) at the bottom of the EGR valve opens to dilute and recirculate exhaust gas back into the intake manifold.

The EGR system will be activated at engine idle speed. This is if PCM operating parameters for EGR system operation have been met.

The EGR system will be shut down briefly if the PCM has determined that a rapid acceleration is occurring. This is determined by a change in TPS voltage (mechanical throttle movement) The PCM will leave the EGR system shut down for a few additional seconds after the throttle has been depressed.

The EGR system will also be shut down for wide open throttle (WOT) conditions.

The EGR system will also be shut down by the PCM if the PCM has not sensed a TPS voltage change (mechanical throttle movement) after 2 continuous minutes. This shut down may occur at either engine idle speed or normal cruising speeds.

Each time the engine is operated, an on-board diagnostic test will be run to verify EGR system operation. Certain failures will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) The MIL is indicated on the instrument panel as the Check Engine Lamp. Refer to the On-Board Diagnostic section for additional information. Also refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures service manual.

moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All of the information is good and appreciated but the main question remains where is the EGR control module and itd connector C112 as referenced on page 8W-30-49 of the repair manual located
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
That is a misprint in the book and that page was removed. The egr is controlled by the engine computer on your truck. there is no stand alone module for it.
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician