sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2000 dodge stratus: speedometer..trans..malfunction..intermittently

2000 dodge stratus, 2.4l suddenly stopped shifting, and lost speedometer; fluid is not burnt or low. ran OBD retrieved codes "gear ratio low" and "trans control malfunction" replaced fluid and TCM, no improvement, will not shift our of low, and will not show speed, but intermittently with a jolt as if trying to shift, very seldom though.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Don't give up yet! The gear ratio codes, the not shifting, and the speedometer not working all go together. When the trans controller sees a problem it thinks could cause potential damage to the trans it will shut off the relay that powers the solenoid pack and lock you in second gear.

The output speed sensor is mounted on the front of the trans, on the deriver's side. This sensor's input (along with the input speed sensor) is used for shifting control, but it's signal is also converted to vehicle speed and sent out to the other modules, one of them being the instrument cluster so you have a speedometer. If the output speed sensor goes down you will be locked in second gear and won't have a speedometer.

You could have a wiring problem or a bad speed sensor. The sensor itself is very likely. Look over the wiring and if it's ok I would go ahead and replace the sensor. It runs about $20 and will be in stock at any parts store or dealer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX works, ill be kinda upset i didnt catch it, but relieved, ill probably not show off my ase cert for a bit

It's not a big deal! Things can happen to anybody at any time, trust me! I could drum up a few stories of my own (but I try to block them from my memory!). Look the wiring over, stick an output speed sensor in it and I think you'll be shfiting again.