Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 2005 neon sxt.

Customer Question

I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 2005 neon sxt. Do I need special tools or is this something a DIYer can do ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

There are no special tools required to replace a rear wheel bearing. This job can be fairly easily done by a DIY'er.

Removal:

graphic

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
  3. If the vehicle is equipped with rear drum brakes, remove any retainer clips from the wheel mounting studs, then pull the brake drum off the hub and bearing.
  4. If the vehicle is equipped with rear disc brakes, perform the following:

• Remove the two guide pin bolts securing the front disc brake caliper to the steering knuckle.
    • Remove the disc brake caliper from the knuckle and brake rotor.
    • Hang the caliper out of the way using a wire hanger or cord. Do not support the caliper by letting it hang by the hydraulic hose.
    • Remove any retainer clips from the wheel mounting studs, then pull the brake rotor off the hub and bearing.
  5. Remove the dust cap from the hub and bearing assembly.
  6. Remove the retaining nut, then the hub and bearing from the knuckle's spindle

Installation:

1. Install the hub and bearing on the knuckle's spindle, then install a new retaining nut. Do not reuse the original nut. Tighten the nut to a torque of 217 Nm (160 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the dust cap on the end of the hub and bearing.
  3. If the vehicle is equipped with rear disc brakes, install the brake rotor and disc brake caliper on the knuckle. Install the two guide pin bolts securing the front disc brake caliper to the steering knuckle. Tighten the guide pin bolts to a torque of 22 Nm (192 inch lbs.) .
  4. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten the wheel mounting nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Repeat the tightening sequence, this time, to full specified torque of 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) .
  5. Lower the vehicle to ground level.