brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

06 Dodge stratus 2.4 dohc just started making ticking noises

Customer Question

06 Dodge stratus 2.4 dohc just started making ticking noise's yesterday. Today it is a little worse. She hasnt changed oil like she should have done. I just changed it for her today, and it sounds like its coming from drivers side. the sound is about the speed of the camshaft speed. Heard or seen this yet?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

Does it sound like the noise is at the top of the engine or the bottom?

Does the noise increase with the engine rpm?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The sound does increase with rpm, and gets louder. I would say the sound is from the upper area

Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

Then you are describing a failing lifter/s (hydraulic lash adjuster)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So at this point do you think the fresh oil might help? or are there any additives you know of that might help? She does'nt have alot of money and has went back to college
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
The fresh oil may help it..... and there are additives for the engine as well. It depends on it the lifter is plugged up and will not tale oil or if the bottom is dished out due to not getting the oil to pump it up. I guess either way it is worth trying an additive and see what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was affraid of that... I was hoping for better news to tell her... But then hey, she will learn to check the oil and change it in the future. Thanks
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

No worries.....

Good Luck,