quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler

2006 Dodge Ram 2500: cruise control..factory..wiring..steering wheel

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, that was not equipped with cruise control. I bought the factory switches, and the wiring was already run up in the steering wheel. Is there more to hooking up cruise in this truck than installing switches and changing some computer programming?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 6 years ago.

hello, have you installed the switches yet? the reason i ask is the newer dodges are real easy to add cruise control depending on what engine you have. some all you need to do is install the switches.

what engine is in your truck?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it has the 5.7 hemi. I have installed the switches, but no cruise. That's why I started wondering if there was a parameter in the ECM that needed to be programmed. It's at a dealer now, they seem a little confused.

Expert:  quickcar replied 6 years ago.
were the switches new? the 5.7 seeing how its an electronic throttle is the easiest of them all to add cruise. the one i did i dont recall having to go in and tell the pcm that cruise was added.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what year was the one you did? close to the same?
Expert:  quickcar replied 6 years ago.

i installed one in an 07 and like i said it was straight forward.

does your cruise light come on out all when you try to turn the cruise on and off?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no cruise light. the switches are used, however.
Expert:  quickcar replied 6 years ago.
what year are the switches out of?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought the switches on ebay, and I was told they were from a 2006 as well. The are out of a Durango, so I don't know if that is the problem. The connector on my wiring plugged in no problem.
Expert:  quickcar replied 6 years ago.

well i explain my concern now that i know they are from a durango, id have the dealer check the part numbers and make sure the durango calls for the same part number as your ram and the reason why is the newer vehicles use multiplex systems for alot of various different electronics in the vehicle including speed control, now what multiplex is, is the speed control switch only has one signal wire from the switches to the pcm, and the switches change resistance on that wire through various resistors in the switches themselves the pcm sees the different voltages on that wire and knows which request is being made based on those voltages.

it is possible that the durango has a different set of resistors in the switches and that is why your ram's pcm is not seeing the signal.