Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

While driving, my belts appear to be making squealing noise.

While driving, my belts appear to be making squealing noise. It does not do it when idling only when vehicle is in motion. Can I lubricate my belts to address?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

If you rev the engine in neutral, do the belts squeal?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, thats usually the brake pads wear indicator and not the belts. Have the brakes checked out.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My brakes do not squeal. They have been verified as good. This is only when the engine is running when I am driving down the road. It appears to me its the belts.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Hello, the last expert asked about reving up engine to see if squeel. In most all cases, the squeel can be reproduced when engine is reved if it is a belt noise. I beleive you may have belt squeal but usually not only while driving down the road.

You do NOT want to spray any belt quiet product on the belt. This can make worse if it is belt noise. You can try WD40 and spray belts pulleys just to see if it will work.

I would like to know at what speed you hear the squeal. Is it all the time while driving? or with AC on only etc? Please send some more details and I will see what I can do to help.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sprayed WD40 on and drove. It did not squeal at initially but it started about 5 minutes into the drive. I had not driven the vehicle in 3 days before today. It was squealing when driving at all speeds, when accelerating and braking, but not when stopped at a traffic light.

A side note: I had two used tires installed a few weeks ago and had them rotated a week ago. The used tires are on the front and my old ones are on the rear. The vehicle had been pulling to the right after I had the used tires put on the back, so I rotated them to the front.

Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
I surely am not ruling out the belt as the problem or a belt driven item like tensioner, alt etc but i am going to ask you to humor me not seriously so i can be sold that the noise is engine, I would drive vehicle till you hear the squeal. Once sqealing at good rate, put vehicle in neutral and turn key off. I do not like to direct anyone to unsafe condition so only do if comfortable. i suggest a back raod with no cars etc. i would really like to know if the noise goes away or stays with engin off and coasting. As long as in neutral, you can crank engine right back up when you want. this is your call of course. Just would help me to know it is engine derived noise and not a drive train noise etc. LMk thanks