DODGEEXPERT
DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER
9201135

Removing Heater Core in 2000 Dodge RAM 1500 3

how do I remove a heater core from a 2000 dodge ram 1500 3.9
Category: Dodge
Expert:  DODGEEXPERT replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Well my friend here are the steps that you will need to remove the dash and get to the heater core.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO AIRBAGS AND SEAT BELTS/AIRBAGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle. Refer to Housing Assembly HVAC/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
  2. Remove the screws and retainers that secure the heater core to the heater-A/C housing.

Heater Core Remove/Install

1. Lift the heater core straight up and out of the heater-A/C housing. INSTALLATION
  1. Lower the heater core into the heater-A/C housing.
  2. Position the retainers over the heater core tubes. Install and tighten the screws that secure the heater core and retainers to the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the screws to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
  3. Reinstall the heater-A/C housing in the vehicle Refer to Housing Assembly HVAC/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
    Notes

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING, REVIEW THE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS IN PLUMBING BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.

The HVAC housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service access of the heater core, a/c evaporator, and each of the various mode control doors.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
    2. Remove the dash board from the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Procedures\Instrument Panel Service Procedures\Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement
    3. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 6. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, recover the refrigerant from the system, please refer to Heating and Air Conditioning/Service and Repair/ See: Service and Repair
    4. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
    5. Remove the accumulator. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
    6. Drain the engine cooling system. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System
    7. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
    8. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the dash panel and set it aside, but do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors, please refer to Powertrain Management/Computers and Controls/ See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Engine Control Module
    9. Remove the nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.

Fig.8 HVAC Housing Remove/Install

1. Remove the nuts that secure the HVAC housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
    2. Pull the HVAC housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
    3. Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle. HVAC Housing Inlet Baffle
    1. Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle.

Fig.9 HVAC Housing Inlet Baffle Remove/Install

1. Slide the HVAC housing inlet baffle all the way to one side of the cowl plenum opening.
    2. Pull downwards sharply and firmly on the opposite side of the HVAC housing inlet baffle to disengage the snap features from the cowl plenum opening.
    3. Remove the HVAC housing inlet baffle from the cowl plenum panel.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the HVAC housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
    2. Install the nuts that secure the HVAC housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.) .
    3. Install and tighten the nuts onto the HVAC housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.) .
    4. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system. Refer Cooling for the procedures. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System
    5. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 10. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, install the accumulator. Connect the accumulator inlet tube coupler to the evaporator outlet tube.
    6. Unplug or remove the tape from the liquid line and the evaporator inlet tube fittings. Connect the liquid line coupler to the evaporator inlet tube.
    7. Evacuate the refrigerant system.
    8. Charge the refrigerant system, please refer to Heating and Air Conditioning/Service and Repair/ See: Service and Repair
    9. Reinstall the PCM to the dash panel, please refer to Powertrain Management/Computers and Controls/ See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Engine Control Module
    10. Reinstall the dash board in the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Procedures\Instrument Panel Service Procedures\Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement
    11. Connect the battery negative cable.
    12. Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems. HVAC Housing Inlet Baffle
    1. Install the HVAC housing inlet baffle in the cowl plenum panel.
    2. Slide the HVAC housing inlet baffle to engage the snap features.
    3. Make certain that the snap features on each side of the adapter are fully engaged with the sides of the plenum panel opening. This must be a water tight connection to prevent leaks.
    4. Install the HVAC housing in the vehicle. Refer to Body and Frame/ Interior Trim/ Dashboard / Instrument Panel/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Procedures

Terms of Use

DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER