BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

How important is it to have the GRC or GCR valve changed What

How important is it to have the GRC or GCR valve changed? What would the approx. cost be to have it changed?
Thank you.
Carl
Category: Dodge
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

Do you mean the EGR valve?

Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the valve is the EGR. Sorry for giving wrong info . Was going by memory and was having a senior moment.
Thank you,
Carl
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
No problem! The labor to replace the valve is about $50, but the egr valve is electronic and could cost $200-$300. The egr is very important. An EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) valve is designed to lower NOX (NO2) gases that occur in the combustion chamber when temperatures reach over 3,500 degrees Fahrenheit. NOX gases have been proven to cause brain damage in humans, therefore EGR valves have been mandatory on most vehicles since 1976. An EGR valves controls exhaust gases and allows them to enter the intake manifold and flow into the combustion chamber at certain times in the operation of the vehicle to reduce combustion chamber temperatures. Testing of a Linear (electric) EGR valve requires a scan tool capable of applying the valve on command. The truck will perfom normally if it is not re[aired, but could casue other problems obviously. I forgot to mention there is a TSB to check some other things if you are getting an egr code, just click here.

Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,

Bob

Edited by Bob on 11/7/2009 at 8:45 PM EST
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience