Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

2000 dodge stratus: a horn that wont stop honking..airbag

Customer Question

Please help!

I have a 2000 dodge stratus with a horn that won't stop honking. I have the airbag off. I can of course get it to stop honking by removing the fuse or by disconnecting the wire from the horn bracket. It appears that everything is where it needs to be, but it's almost like things are backwards. When the horn bracket is in it's resting state, the horn blows (so it is grounded when it's not depressed). When I depress it, the horn stops (the connection to ground is broken. I'm wondering if the screw, spring and plastic washer are installed incorrectly, but I can not see another way to install them. They way they are right now is that the screw goes in from the front side of the bracket, then the washer with the flange going through the hole in the horn bracket and finally the spring. Also, could it be that the relay is bad?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

The relay for the horn is controlled by the body control module. Since you seem to think that things are backwards, this might actually be a sign that the body control module is actually at fault here.

If you unplug the wires to the clockspring assembly, does the horn stop.....or does it keep going.

Try swapping the horn relay with another relay in the box and see if it changes anything.

Let me know about the clockspring.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I swapped out the relay and the same thing is happening. Whenever the airbag bracket that the horn wire is connected to has metal-to-metal contact with the screws, the horn honks. This is happening when the bracket is at rest and not being depressed. When I depress the bracket so that no metal-to-metal contact is occurring, the horn stops honking (this is what seems backward to me).

Is the "body control module" just behind the steeing wheel (i.e. the black donut that the airbag and horn cables come out of)? Or, are you talking about the fuse box?

Also, the clockspring wire (the wire that plugs into the back of tha airbag module, right?) is already unplugged. As I mentioned, I have the airbag removed and unplugged. For safety, I disconnected the negative battery terminal before I removed the airbag. Then I disconnected the airbag, then reconnected the battery terminal.

No, the "black donut" is actually the clockspring assembly.

The body computer is under the dash.

The wire I was asking you to disconnect is on the backside of the clockspring so you will need to remove the covers from around the top of the column to gain access.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. So, I removed the covers to get access to the connectors on the back side of the clockspring. There are two connectors. A smaller one and a larger one. The horn was honking and when I removed the smaller connector, it kept honking. When I removed the larger connector, it stopped honking.

So does that mean I have a faulty clockspring, or could it still be something with the "body computer", or is there something else that I could try?

The smaller connector should be yellow in color and have 2 wires. This for the airbag, so disconnecting that would not affect the horn.

The other connector is 4 wires and the black/red wire is the horn wire going to the body computer.

Since the horn stopped with this connector unplugged, it rules out the body computer. Now, the problem has been isolated to the actual horn switch or the clockspring.

In order to activate the horn, you would normally press on the airbag module cover.......correct?

So, if the airbag is unplugged it rules out the horn switch which is inside the airbag cover.

So, that leaves the clockspring as being shorted.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, you are correct that to activate the horn, the airbag module cover is pressed, but I don't think there is a horn switch inside the airbag cover, so could it be something besides the clockspring?

Yes, there is a switch inside the air bag cover..........that is why you are pushing the cover to activate the horn....normally.

So, if the airbag is disconnected......then it only leaves the clockspring, since we know the horn will stop if you unplug the clockspring.

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. Thanks for your help Mark.

You're welcome.