sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT has been trying to cut off while idling

My 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT has been trying to cut off while idling at stop lights, etc. The car has 43,000 miles on it. When I took it into my mechanic, he said the diagnostic machine said the coils within the fuel injectors may be bad? However, he was unable to pinpoint which injector had the problem (just the side of the engine?). I just had an EGR valve replaced 2 months ago and it appears as though I am looking at another costly repair. Is this normal for this car??? This is my 3rd repair in less than 6 months of owning the vehicle. (I also ha to have the torque struts replaced)
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you know what fault codes were stored?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I don't. He just told me something about 2 coils that came up on the diagnostic that needed replacing. Said they were causing the engine to put up codes pertaining to misfiring.

To be able to shed some light on what you have going on it would be extremely helpful to have the fault codes that were set. If the check engine light is still on or the codes were not cleared you can get them yourself.

With the doors closed cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I attempted to do this and the only thing that's happening is the service engine light flashes 11 times?

You won't need to worry about the check engine light flashing, the codes will appear on the odometer.

Start with the doors closed. Put the key in and turn it one click. This is off. One click to the right of that is on. Remember to not crank the starter, just off to on. Start with it off and go on,off, on, off, on and the mileage in the odometer will disappear and show you actual P codes. Try it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Finally got it.....code was 0300

Ok. That's a multi cylinder misfire. There is a service bulletin that pertains to this and will likely fix your problem. Your exhaust valves may not be rotating. This causes carbon to build on the back side of the valves and you will lose some compression on the affected cylinders. The original valve keepers along with low rpm easy driving contribute to the lack of valve rotation. The fix is to replace the exhaust valve keepers, and while they are apart the valves need to be rotated by hand before the springs are reinstalled. After it's back together it will need a fuel system cleaning to remove the carbon. If basic things like spark plugs, fuel quality, etc have been verified by the mechanic already this would be your next step.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any idea how much this repair will cost?
That parts price is pretty negligable. The keepers cost $.75 each at a dealer (make sure they come from a dealer and are the latest part number). The fuel system cleaning price will vary a bit at each shop, but they generally are somewhere in the area of $100. The retainers can be replaced with the cylinder heads on the car saving you substantial money. The labor time to replace the keepers will run about 5-6 hours.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist