brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Dodge: whining sound..goes away..loudest when accelerating..brakes

Dodge Ram 2004 has a whining sound when driving, if I push it into neutral it goes away, it is loudest when accelerating but when it is standing still in neutral you can race the engine without the sound. I have felt the wheel to see if any are hot after driving but that is a negative. Push the brakes on doesn't have any affect on the sound. The truck has 100k on it, any ideas?
From your description you have a worn ring and pinion in the rear differential. There are two sides to the gear and one side is worn so when accelerating it makes a noise but in neutral or decelerating it doesn't. You need to remove the differential cover and inspect the wear pattern on the gears to know for sure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How long I drive my truck if that is the problem without doing even more damage? And how hard would it be for me to fix it myself I'm an amateur mechanic.
You will need some special tools to set up the ring pattern and is fairly difficult to do. As far as time it is hard to say as I can't hear the noise to know the severity but would guess around 5,000 miles. Of course the sooner the better.