Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

1998 dodge ram 1500: front end..tire..the drivers side..passenger side

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500, the front end is crooked. I have 5" of space between the tire and the body on the drivers side and 7" on passenger side.

gaps are estimates

How do i fix this
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
hello, do you haveXXXXXorXXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a 4x4
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm sorry i'm new with this site, did you recieve my response? do you need more?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
do you have a floor jack or a way to jack up the frame in one spot?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Let me check a few things. I will get back with you shortly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
When you can, can you please take a rough or close measurement of the distance between top of both rear tires and the well or body. Be sure to measure in exact same spot on both sides. LMk when you cam . No rush. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
11 1/2" on drivers side 11 1/4" passenger side
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. the thing I was going for is that looking at unequal ride height in the front actaully can be caused from the rear. Lets say the left rear dropped low, the right front would go high and Vs versa. You should confirm the problem is in the front by using the floor jack directly under the rear differential pumpkin. Jack it up till tires just off the ground. remeasure the front. If still a difference from each side in the front, then this would narrow the problem to front and most likley a bad coil spring. I suspect the drivers side spring has lost some spring tension. If you go to do springs, they are sold in pairs so both need to be done. If you jack up the rear and the front settles in fairly close on each side, the drivers side leaf spring may have a broken leaf etc and will need replaced. the only items that control ride height are the 2 front coil springs and 2 rear leaf springs. Shocks do nothing for vehicle height or load.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Boy I sure wish i was more clear on my initial measurments. I took my measurements horizontally from tire to body.

O-->body 5" on one side and 7" on the other it's cock eyed i guess

sorry about that

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Big difference. You are saying you feel one tire is either closer to front of truck or one is too far back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the passenger side is closer to the front of the truck than the drivers side.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
what brought all of this on? did you just happen to see a difference OR is the truck pulling to one side or the other fairly hard? or something else?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told my truck was "dog walking" so I started looking at my adjustable track bar and rear lift blocks and springs. Thinking I needed to adjust side to side, but noticed my front end was cocked.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. The easiest way for me to explain is to see the drivers side tire back a little more than passeneger side can be normal. There is an alignment adjustment called "caster" caster is sort of ho far the drivers tire sits "back". this is needed due to the crown in the road. meaning the center of most all roads is higher. To keep the vehicle from pulling to one side due to crown in road, the drivers side tire is set back some. this is caster. It is adjustable via alignment machine. if the truck drives fairly straight, the caster is most likley ok and what you see is normal. even the fender could be back a little. now, the crab walk. that is usually caused in the rear. Something is not sitting straight with rear axle and springs. You should be taking the same measurements for the rear. there is not much in the front that could move or go bad to shift things like you see. the rear it can. If the truck steers ok and the rear differential is cocked a bit, that needs to be inpsected on a lift to see what shifted. if the front was out by 2 inches, the truck would pull to one side real bad

Caster: Check the caster of the front axle for correct angle. Be sure the axle is not bent or twisted. Road test the vehicle and make left and right turn. Observe the steering wheel return-to-center position. Low caster will cause poor steering wheel returnability. Caster can be adjusted by rotating the cams on the lower suspension arm.

Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks a bunch for your help. Sorry for the confusion.