ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
14457476

95 dodge neon: getting power..the fuel pump.I changed the relay

I have a 95 dodge neon,It's not getting power to the fuel pump.I changed the relay and the fuse, even tried a different computer,still no power.
have you check the relay? .can you swap the relay to another relay in the same box?do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already changed the relay. Yes I have a test light.
ok, can you go back to that relay and remove the relay and with the test light check the terminals for power you should have 2 powers with ignition key to on (not cranking).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have 2 powers with key on.
ok, let me bring up the relay function and get back to you in 2 minutes.
ok this is the electrical schematic of the relay and we have 2 powers wish is battery and ignition , that circuit is good ,now we need to check the signal and output and that will be #30 for output to the fuel pump and #85 for computer signal, can you locate the terminals by looking at the relay each pin on the relay has a number look for # XXXXX and let me know when ready

Edited by ricardo hohl on 11/1/2009 at 12:19 AM EST

The following description of operation and tests apply only to the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) and fuel pump relays. The terminals on the bottom of each relay are numbered (Fig. 29).

OPERATION
Terminal 30: Is connected to battery voltage at all times for both the ASD relay and fuel pump relay.

Terminal 85: The powertrain control module (PCM) grounds the coil side of the relay through terminal number 85.

Terminal 86: Supplies voltage to the coil side of the relay.
  • There is no wire terminal in the cavity.
are you there will you like to continue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found #30 and I'm ready to continue.
i am sorry i had website problems last night and was lost on the internet would you like to continue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would like to continue.
ok, grate lest see you identify #30 , we had 2 powers before and now we are checking for output power from the relay, i need you to get a piece of wire and insert one end in to #30 connector and install the relay over the top of the wire, connect the test light alligator clip to negative side of the battery and with the other end of the test light, touch the wire end.make sure the ignition key is on see if the test light goes on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There was power in #30 with the key on and with the key off.

how about while cranking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is power while cranking.
ok if there is power while cranking ., there has to be power at the fuel pump conector can you get to the fuel pump conector and disconect from the fuel pump and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
disconected conector at fuel pump,no power there with key on or while cranking.
ok very good now let me look up the wiring from there to the pump i will get back to you in 10 minutes
ok, there is nothing connecting between the #30 outlet of that connector and the fuel pump. you need to either bypass that wire from the relay connector at the bottom of the relay box top a wire and run it to the fuel pump, bypassing the original wire, or follow the wire and find the location were is broken you will have to open the harness and follow the wire it should be a dark green and white wire see conector at the fuel pump for wire color.
Fuel Pump
Notes

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Edited by ricardo hohl on 11/1/2009 at 11:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I ran a wire from the relay box back to the conector at the pump,and there is still no power.

ok did you run the wire from conector #30 strait to the conector on the fuel pump its the dark green and white wire?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I did the dark green and white wire.
ok did you conect the wire inside the conector #30 and install the relay over the wire
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I hook the wire in conector #30 there is power there all the time with out the key being on.
ok one second, can you tell me is it dwal over head cam or single over head cam?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
single over head cam.
ok, sorry i have dual over head ok, no problem remove the relay and the wire for know locate terminal #87 and install the wire in that slot install the relay over that, make sure the relay is inserted well in the relay socket and check for power out of the wire while cranking the engine, same way as before.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is power while cranking the engine. but none with the key on.
ok that is ok can you connect that end of the wire coming out of the relay to the wire you have going to the fuel pump connector d/green and white wire?, and with a test light check for power on that pin connector before you plug in to the pump.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no power with key on but there is power while cranking.
ok is there power when you let go of the key after crancking the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
for about 1 second then nothing.
ok yes is because the computer is shutting it off, due to no start .ones the computer see an rpm signal then it will let the fuel pump run constant, can you connect the fuel pump connector and try to start now, cycle the key 3 times on and of to prime the pump and then crank the engine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok the car starts and runs, what about the wire we have stuck under the relay?
ok that is the wire that is broken some were from there to the fuel pump, what you can do is, look under the fuse box and locate the fuel pump wire by the color and test with the test light for power out while cranking the engine and wen you find it then cut the wire and bypass with the wire you have now connected to the fuel pump and tape up good to prevent humidity from damaging the wire.