brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2000 dodge Dakota: v6 that will not shuts off immediately

I have a 2000 dodge Dakota v6 that will not idle. It runs without missing as long as someone has their foot on the gas but when released it shuts off immediately.

Does it run good other than at idle?

Is the check engine light on and if so any codes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it runs well except at idle and there is no check engine light after starting it just shuts off when no gas is given. I have adjusted the pedel pressure so that it stays at about 700 RMP and it will stay on until I remove my foot from the pedel.
I suggest then taking out the idle air control motor and cleaning it and the bore it goes in with carb cleaner. Then pull out on the plunger before installing it. What happens is carbon will build up and not allow the idle air control motor to move. By cleaning and adjusting the idle air control motor will reset and work again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last question; where is the idle air control motor located? I have looked at the engine followed throttle cables and I am not sure where the module is. If it helps I know where all the plugs are located and where the distributor is as well.

The idle air control motor is in the throttle body....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much. I would have never looked there. By the way I like this service it is a lot cheaper than a repair shop. I would like to let you know if this works. How can I get you when I have future problems or do I have to take luck of the draw?

When you ask a question just ask for "Brownjeff" and the other experts wont answer the question.....By the way I'm on the site 10 hours a day so I'm not hard to get a hold of!!

Good Luck,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You got it and your solution worked fine. I removed the carbon build up and off we go. No more idle problems. Thanks a bunch!!!

Take care and God Bless,