quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler
17227360

i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 and the hood cable is broken and

i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 and the hood cable is broken and i cannot get the hood to release
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
hello, the only way your going to be able to open it is if its broken off right at the hood release handle see if you can grab whats left with a pair of pliers, if that doesnt work you ll have to try and use a long screwdriver or metal coat hanger and go through the grill and try to get at the release, if that is unsuccessful remove the plastic inner fender liner from the drivers side wheel well and try to reach up in and grab the hood release cable and pull it down cut it and try to get ahold of the cable inside of it with a pair of pliers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am able to reach up behind the grill and grab the cable with pliers but when I pull on it the hood will still not release.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
what part are you pulling on? the black plastic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
well you going to have to try and get into the inside of that black cable, by pulling on the outside of it you will never be able to move the inner metal cable that works the release far enough to move it to release.if you can take the black plastic cable and getting it disconnected from the latch then pull on it that will work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Disconnect it from the hood release inside the cab?
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
no, if you can disconnect it from the hood latch under the hood, it slides and locks into a slot on the latch if you disconnect it there then just pulling on the black plastic housing of the cable with plier should pull the release.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Problem is that I think the cable is out of the slot.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
then the only way you are going to get it open is to try and get on the bolts the latch to the rad support or the stricker to the hood, its either that or try and take a metal coat hanger and get it in the latch and on the release but that will be near impossible to do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So are you saying to take the hood latch off by removing the bolts?
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
if you can get to them yes, then youll be able to open the hood and be able to use a screwdriver to get at the release on the latch to open the latch and reinstall it.
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+ years chrysler