David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

I have a blinking abs light on my 2003 dodge ram 2500 pick

I have an emergency brake light contiuously on, and a blinking abs light on.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.
Do you know what the codes were that the tech found? It would be helpful to know as I can take a look at the diagnostic chart.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Originally the code was for the abs. At least thats what i was told. After spending the 330 on the abs module, I replaced it myself then took my truck to my father in laws shop. They have a hand held genyisis, not sure how thats spelled, and the code came up 82 and 83 i believe. Which was tone ring teeth and rear differential speed. I didnt quite get it, so i took it back to the shop where they had told me the abs module was bad, and the guy couldnt clear the codes, so he said maybe my speed sensor was bad. Im wondering if im getting the run around or if that may be the case. If in fact it is, then how would i replace it

The speed sensor is in the differential on this truck. Very simple to replace, just one bolt.

Something else just came to mind. The module needed to be programmed after installation with the pinion factor, this could give you a problem until those parameters are within range.

Edited by David Dill on 10/17/2009 at 4:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how would it need to be programmed. and do you think this is what is causing the code errors?
As far as I know only a dealership scan tool(DRBIII) can do the programming. It sets the tire size and ring gear size for proper speed calculations. If those aren't set it will turn on your lights. You can check with your Father-in-law to see if his Genysis will perform the function.