Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience

2005 dodge stratus: the defrost to start blowing warm air

I have a 2005 dodge stratus. It takes over 30 minutes after it starts for the heater or the defrost to start blowing warm air.
Hello, what you're most likely running into is a thermostat stuck open causing the vehicle to take an abnormally long period of time to warm up.

If you can tell me what engine is in the vehicle I can give you instructions for replacement.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2.7 L DOHC 24 valve engine
Ok, it's a pretty big job on the 2.7, unless you're confident in your abilities I'd suggest having it done at a shop.

Here's the procedure for removal of the thermostat.

techCONNECT Content

1. Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.

WARNING: Do not remove pressure cap or any hose with the system hot and under pressure because serious burns from coolant can occur.

2. Drain cooling system.
3. Raise vehicle.
4. Remove right front wheel and belt splash shield.
5. Remove accessory drive belts .
6. Remove lower generator mounting bolt.
7. Lower vehicle.
8. Disconnect generator electrical connectors.
9. Disconnect AC clutch and AC pressure sensor electrical connectors. Reposition wiring harness.
10. Remove oil dipstick and tube. Plug hole in oil pan where dipstick tube mounts with water tight stopper.

WARNING: If hole for dipstick tube in oil pan is not plugged, coolant will enter oil pan. Serious engine damage can occur.

11. Remove remaining generator mounting bolts. Remove generator.
12. Disconnect hoses at thermostat housing.

13. Remove thermostat housing bolts.
14. Remove thermostat and housing.

Here's the installation procedure

techCONNECT Content

1. Clean gasket sealing surfaces.

NOTE: Install thermostat with the bleed valve located at the 12 o'clock position.
2. Install thermostat and gasket into the thermostat housing.

3. Install thermostat and housing to cylinder block. Tighten attaching bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.) .
4. Connect hoses at thermostat housing.
5. Install generator and attaching bolts.

CAUTION: Before removing plug in oil pan, clean residual coolant from area.

6. Remove plug in oil pan and install engine oil dipstick tube.
7. Reconnect AC clutch and AC pressure sensor connectors.
8. Reconnect generator connectors.
9. Raise vehicle on hoist.
10. Install accessory drive belts.
11. Install belt splash shield and right front wheel.
12. Lower vehicle.
13. Reconnect negative battery cable.
14. Fill cooling system .

Here's the procedure for refilling the cooling system.

techCONNECT Content
NOTE: Draincock should be hand tightened only.
1. Close radiator draincock by turning clockwise.

NOTE: It is imperative that the cooling system air bleed valve be opened before any coolant is added to the cooling system. Failure to open the bleed valve first will result in an incomplete fill of the system.
2. Open cooling system bleed valve.
3. Attach a 6.35 mm (0.250 in.) inside diameter clear hose that is 120.0 cm (48 in.) long to the bleed valve. Route the hose away from accessory drive belts and radiator fan. Position the other end of hose into a clean collecting container. The hose will prevent coolant from contacting accessory drive belts and other components.
4. Remove cooling system pressure cap. Attach Filling Aid Funnel 8195, to coolant pressure container filler neck.
5. Use the supplied clip to pinch overflow hose that connects between the two chambers of the pressure container.
6. Pour coolant into the larger section of Filling Aid Funnel (the smaller section of funnel is to allow air to escape).
7. Slowly continue filling until a steady stream of coolant flows from attached hose on bleed valve.
8. Close bleed valve and continue filling system to top of Filling Aid Funnel. DO NOT overtighten. Tighten to 12.4 N·m (110 lbs. in.).
9. Remove clip from overflow hose.
10. Allow coolant in Filling Aid Funnel to drain into overflow chamber of pressure container.
11. Remove Filling Aid Funnel 8195 and install pressure cap on pressure container.
12. Remove hose from bleed valve.
13. Start engine and allow to run until thermostat opens and radiator fans cycle.

The engine cooling system will push any remaining air into the pressure container within about one half hour of normal driving. As a result, a drop in coolant level in the pressure container may occur.

If the engine cooling system overheats and pushes coolant into the overflow chamber of the pressure container, this coolant will be sucked back into the cooling system ONLY IF THE PRESSURE CAP IS LEFT ON THE PRESSURE CONTAINER. Removing the pressure cap breaks the vacuum path between the two chambers of the pressure container and the coolant will not return to the cooling system.

14. Shut off engine and allow it to cool down. This permits coolant to be drawn into the pressure chamber.
15. With engine COLD, observe coolant level in pressure chamber. Coolant level should be within MIN and MAX marks. Adjust coolant level as necessary.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much!
you're welcome, I'm here most nights if you need any further assistance