Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified
18805678

2000 Dodge dakota: V8..automatic transmission..overheating..coolant

Customer Question

Got a 2000 Dodge Dakota PU truck with 5.9L V8 and automatic transmission that is overheating. Water and coolant are full and oil is clean and full - any ideas what the problem could be? My friend is on the road trying to get to my house as I type! Thanks so much!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

There really isn't going to be much that can be done on the road. couple questions.

does the heater blow hot air in the cab?
are both upper and lower radiator hoses hot?

could have a sticking thermostat, plugged radiator, or a failing head gasket. Any one of these problems can cause your issue but it's going to be next to impossible to troubleshoot the problem along side the road... let alone do anything about it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Heater is not blowing hot air into the cab -- and upper hose is warm and lower is cold ...
Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.
ok. sounds like you have a failed water pump.

when the water pump fails, the coolant will not be circulated throughout the system. The upper hose will be warmer as the coolant will go through the upper hose first, down through the radiator to the lower hose and back to the engine. Also the coolant will not be forced through the heater core as the water pump is responsible for coolant flow through the heater core as well.

If the thermostat was stuck closed, the heater would still work.

The cylinder head could theoretically cause your concern, but I would wanna make for sure that the water pump wasn't at fault as the head gaskets are about a 1700 dollar job.

good luck with it. thanks
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok thanks SO very much for your help very much appreciate it!

Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.
no problem. please don't forget to accept my answer!