bill
bill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 yrs in the field 19 with Dodge Chrysler Jeep,expert in electrical drivability

1999 dodge ram 1500 wont start just clicks?

Customer Question

1999 dodge ram 1500 won't start just clicks?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.

hi i'm bill

sounds like the starter has failed, but first have the battery checked at your local arts store, clean the battery terminals replace them if really bad, if both those check out the starter is likely at fault

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we put a different battery in and it wouldn't crank. Since then we purchased a brand new starter today. We finally managed to get it cranked but it doesn't want to idle or stay cranked
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
the computer lost it's memory and must relearn it's idle but first be sure the throttle blades are clean, a dirty throttle body will cause low or no idle issues, you may need to hold teh idle for a few minuts until the computer relearns the idle this is a common thing after a battery is disconnected on an older vehicle
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it has one of those chip type keys that goes below the steering column. Is that what needs to reset?
Expert:  bill replied 4 years ago.
should not need to be reset BUT that is an aftermarket accessory not something dodge put in from the factory, but if that was an issue you wouldn't ever get it to crank