Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500: factory..towing harness..right hand turn signal

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX and I own a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 5.9 Cummins Diesel. My problem is with the factory wiring for the towing harness. I have no right hand turn signal or right hand brake. The lights work on the truck but not the trailer. I have traced the problem back to the truck and found that the wiring on the harness for the flat as well as the round 7 pin plug are not connected to the right or left hand lights on the back of the truck. Where do they make the connection or where can I get a wiring diagram to further trace this problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I have run into this numerous times and it has always been caused by the Totally integrated power module(Main fuse box). The TIPM controls the trailer lights internally and there are no external fuses or relays to control this. The circuit inside the module fails and the only thing you can do is replace the TIPM. I would have you test this but I am sure it will need the module. Let me know if you want to test the wire coming out of the module, it is a light green wire in connector 3. Thanks, Richard

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the info it is the kind of problem I sort of figured it would be . It would help if you could tell me how to test to make sure that this is the problem. How much does this module cost and should I just take it to the dealer since it is on an extended warrantty with a $100 deductible.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
Could I get your vin?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Vin is 3D7KS29C66G179554
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

I just remembered on 2006 ram trucks there is an update that might fix the trailer tow problem inside the TIPM. This update changes the software that controls the trailer tow lights and it may fix this. I would suggest you get this update done to see if it fixes it. It only take 1/2 hour to do. I tried to see if this would be covered under your service contract but I can't because I am in Canada and I can't access the info from the U.S.

I would phone up your dealer and ask them to check to see if the TIPM would be covered if the update does not fix it. the part number is XXXXX and it retails for $957.00 cad so I would definitely ask them about coverage. I hope this helps you, let me know if the update repairs it. Thanks, Richard